Humor: Why Santa has no family

Forum for the discussion of well anything really
mickey
antispam: I am Not

Re: Humor: Why Santa has no family

Post by mickey »

Weed wrote:Mickey, you mentioned Seamus -- in case you've not seen it, there's a short history of what he got up to after Grosvenor Road at http://www.eelpie.org/seamus.htm

and some home recordings he did at https://www.wussu.com/seamus/

and a copy of a weblog that was put up for a short time after he died where people left their memories of him, which you might find interesting - http://www.wussu.co.uk/grosvenor/wwwboa ... seamus.pdf (none of its internal links are still active)
Thank you :) for the links.

He knew me from seeing me come and go. And he always had a big welcome and smile. Once I saw him with some sort of Bicycle, it seemed so like his way of being. The image stuck in my mind for ever. Heartbroken to read of his untimely passing robbing us who enjoyed his talents.

There is a band in Heaven where Seamus is holding court :surfing:

But when I go over his recordings, I see I had not known how diverse his material, nor the enormous repertoire. Sadly for me, busy in the 1980s with my own folk band, then going to Ireland for a spell, then tramping around the Americas, I lost track of RIchmond, and the revolution in Twickenham.

Yet one year, I think it was '72, was in Teddington for a while. Never did go over to EI or Twickers. It was the year before I went to College, and may have been a year after I had been in N. Wales. I do vividly recall Cardigan Bay and the many 'FooFoos' there.

I suppose those were somehow inspired by 'The Nit Wits' TV comedy band and its antics. Certainly recall Cwmraig the Welsh language that folks used. Too, there was a London busker up there, I think his name is 'Griggs'? He did live close by Twickers? was a raging one man band with back drum, foot cymbals, the whole deal. He, too, came out here and did a tour, but on a Triumph Bonneville, which at the time, I thought awesome!

:party:

So many threads, so many lives, so many revolutions, so many talents, so many many happenings, such wonderful people, so sad to lose them before I knew them all.

:DJ:

Thank you

Weed

Post by Weed »

mickey wrote:Once I saw [Seamus] with some sort of Bicycle, it seemed so like his way of being...
Seamus had various unexpected talents - one was with horses (he'd been brought up with them and could ride bareback) and the other was with bicycles - he was adept at riding them without using his hands!
mickey wrote:So many threads, so many lives, so many revolutions, so many talents, so many many happenings, such wonderful people, so sad to lose them before I knew them all.
well put! when we had the reunion party in 2007 it was great to see how many of us were still around, though sad to find out about those who weren't -- i got to 40 and thought, "Well that's an achievement; anything more has to be a bonus" :)

it's good that you're still making music -- banjo and penny whistle sounds like it's folk orientated -- whereabouts in the States did you end up? many years ago i travelled round the US, but using buses rather than tramping :) did you manage to contact Carol G again? i don't remember Griggs - maybe worth asking on the Facebook page

mickey
antispam: I am Not

Post by mickey »

Weed wrote:
mickey wrote:Once I saw [Seamus] with some sort of Bicycle, it seemed so like his way of being...
Seamus had various unexpected talents - one was with horses (he'd been brought up with them and could ride bareback) and the other was with bicycles - he was adept at riding them without using his hands!
mickey wrote:So many threads, so many lives, so many revolutions, so many talents, so many many happenings, such wonderful people, so sad to lose them before I knew them all.
well put! when we had the reunion party in 2007 it was great to see how many of us were still around, though sad to find out about those who weren't -- i got to 40 and thought, "Well that's an achievement; anything more has to be a bonus" :)

it's good that you're still making music -- banjo and penny whistle sounds like it's folk orientated -- whereabouts in the States did you end up? many years ago i travelled round the US, but using buses rather than tramping :) did you manage to contact Carol G again? i don't remember Griggs - maybe worth asking on the Facebook page
Hey Weed thanks for getting back.

Seems as if we hardly knew all of Seamus, just the shows. Last night listening to some of his recordings kind of spaced me out, could not sleep afterwards. Weird, like he is in his music. :confused: The horse thing fits well with his thing though.

Setting down; stuck here in the south close to the Mexican border because, well the food is awesome, the people are great and life is like the chli pepper, hot and juicy. :cheers:

Would not trade it for anything else :cool:

Sorry you did not experience the busker! He was a sight to see, :DJ: could blast out all the popular music of the day.

Mention of which, yeah still mess with it here and there. But have to share, at one point, band world near killed me, the drink, late nights, smoking. Glad don't have to do that any more. But lately got into yet another Banjo lick, think it comes from the Berber folk tradition, like using extra fingers on the right hand side where before only one worked. Our talents really never let go, do they?

That's a mess, but best I can do. :confused:

Too, here in the US we have lots 'jams', all ages welcome. So when I get the urge, off I go to one and join in. Folk/Country/Bluegrass/Celtic/Tex-Mex/TradJazz/Blues. Hardly a genre that isn't going on live somewhere. :party:

My memory of where and when I last seen Carol G is hazy :hello: , I think it was on the coast some years? after I left Richmond, not too clear as it was in passing and I had other things going on then. Just wonder how she did with her photography, all that talent, lost track a long time ago. So what did she do? painting and drawing and taking pictures? :knock:

Thanks again for getting back, nice chatting :chat:

Weed

Post by Weed »

Carol Gardner (cos i guess that's who you mean) is on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/carol.gardner.9022 -- living in Totnes, not sure whether she's still doing photography -- she was the one who did the 'Grosvenor Road postcard'