The proposed squatting ban - links and info

Forum for the discussion of well anything really
fernandagrey
antispam: I am Not

The proposed squatting ban - links and info

Post by fernandagrey »

Hey people of the forum.
I am a young london squatter and we are currently under serious threat from the tories. They have been talking about a ban for a few months but suddenly its all happening very quickly, despite the fact that the responses to their consultation were 95% pro-squatting! The reincarnation of SQUASH
are working very hard to fight back.
Currently we are asking people to contact their MPs and ask them to oppose the new law and/or push for the amendments that SQUASH and Crisis (the homeless charity) have proposed. Find your MP here and here's a template letter which I have also included at the end of the post.
Also a mass sleep-out outside parliament has been organised for monday night, to show them how this law will make alot of people homeless. Details of that here

It would be really great to have any support from anyone from this forum. If you can please spread this round your networks we'd appreciate it massively, its really important.

***SPREAD THE WORD***

love and rage,
L

text for suggested template letter to your MP:

Dear ............

I am writing to you to express my concerns about the new amendments to the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Bill which criminalises squatting.

Kenneth Clarke has proposed an amendment (clause 26) which would create a new criminal offence of squatting in a residential building.

Like many other people I do not believe that criminalisation is an
appropriate method of dealing with squatting. The Government recently carried out a consultation on this subject, but have chosen to ignore the responses they received (both from individuals like myself, and large organisations, eg the Metropolitan Police). The vast majority of respondents stated that the existing legislation is adequate, and expressed strong concerns about the proposals' effects.

I strongly urge you to vote against the inclusion of clause 26 in the Bill, to avoid exacerbating the housing crisis by making more people homeless and giving property owners an incentive to leave buildings empty.

Yours Sincerely,

Joviale
Site Admin

Re: The proposed squatting ban - links and info

Post by Joviale »

There is also a Grosvenor Rd page on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?clk_l ... 2503919736

You might try to post there as well. I don't live in britain (and don't believe much in lobbying and petitions) but goo luck anyway.
Squats remain a rare space for freedom and social experimentation, no wonder governments want to make them illegal!

Shnews, about it:
http://www.schnews.org.uk/archive/news794.php
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Joviale
Site Admin

A BBC programme about squats

Post by Joviale »

Dunno how long this can be listened to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b017cfv4
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution