fa ce bo ok

Forum for the discussion of well anything really
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

fa ce bo ok

Post by Joviale »

When some gr people openned a page on fbk for grosvenor rd, i had misgivings but i went with it as a way to find lost sheep. Since then i've been getting more and more annoyed about people i've never heard of wanting to be my friend or actual friends sending me invitation for things i really don't wish to be a part of.
Noe fbk are changing their rights to make it even easier for them to access to all our data (if it wasn't already the case before!).

:Mad:

Here is a text i fully agree with:

https://www.nadir.org/txt/We_need_to_ta ... ebook.html

So anyway, i'm out. I will from the 1st january onward communicate with gr people from here and hope a significant number of you do the same, it might make this forum a bit more lively! (how about postng the reunion photo's here as well?).
hugs
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Dantheman

Re: fa ce bo ok

Post by Dantheman »

Yupp, :gone:

Weed

Post by Weed »

hmm... Facebook for all it's faults, and even though they have abandoned their discussion boards, remains the most popular general purpose social networking site --this is because it's an effective and enjoyable way of finding and keeping in touch with large numbers of people

i sympathise with the writers of the article about Facebook on nadir.org, but IMHO it's naive to think that privacy can be preserved simply by not using Facebook -- the same criticisms can be made of Microsoft (including Windows and Bing), Apple, Google (including Gmail, YouTube and Blogger), Yahoo (including Flickr and Tumblr), Twitter and any other major Western internet companies

to keep personal info out of the hands of authorities and commercial organisations, it's necessary to make it so difficult to to get hold of, that it is not worth their while -- to be extra safe it's best not to use email or the web

what's left is the dark net, which still offers protection, but it requires a level of expertise most people don't have -- (also it is unregulated, so there are dangers including viruses, scams and honeytraps) -- few of us will take precautions such as connecting to the net via a VPN (virtual Private Network), using proxy web sites, hiding our locations with Tor, PGP encrypting our outgoing posts and messages, buying and selling stuff in bitcoins etc

keeping one step ahead of the system has never been easy :)

Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Post by Joviale »

You're right of course, but i just don't feel like having personnal topics made public.
On the other hand, of course, i hardly have any more news from firends since i've gone out, but i feel if there is anything really important going on, someone is bound to send me a message about it and if they don't, well, hard luck for me!
How are you anyway (PM).
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Weed

Post by Weed »

yes, i'm ok, keeping busy as usual -- in addition to all the usual stuff, i've been spending time on Tumblr (another networking side, but mainly graphics based) and exploring the deep web

all well with you?