Festivals

Forum for the discussion of well anything really
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Re: Festivals

Post by Joviale »

Weed wrote:Jov, if you're definitely going to be there, then i'll pass the info on to those who aren't online etc
I am, with valentine, my grand daughter.
It seems that the only persons who have said they would as well are Pete S. and his friend Ann. Not enought to make a team, even though it did seem like a good idea.
Do pass on the info and let e know if other people are interrested by the steward thing, or justby going there.
I suppose if we get there early enough we can nevertheless squat a little space for GRoadies in the public camping place,
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

According to Briggs, end of may would be good to say if we want to have a steward team at the BGG (means we get in free and have a parking space for us). We need to be 8, we seem to be 3 so far.
Weed, have you rung people up to see if they were into it?
Tje soonest i * my ferry the better, so i'd like to know. I can't afford the BGG if i have to pay for me valentine and my van...
hugs
Weed

Post by Weed »

festivals / gatherings - Aug-Sep 2009

Earth First! Summer Gathering, 19th-24th August 2009, Cumbria
http://earthfirst.org.uk

UK Summer Camps for Climate Action
Scotland, 3-9 Aug
Wales, 13-16 Aug
England, 27 Aug-2 Sep
http://climatecamp.org.uk
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Oh well, can't resist posting that video, not really an incoming festival, though!

and that one:
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Well all I can see are two blank spaces. ....I presume these are the Stonehenge videos you posted on Facebook. ....Why don't they work here?
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Dunno, they work for me. Perhaps you have to wait a while for them to download?
Chris, any idea?
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

I don'tknow if someone did something but I can see them now. The first one, I was able to view via Joelle's posting on Facebook. I'm gobsmacked at how good it is. Roy Harpers set particularly. Wonderfully hypnotic. The rest of the music was just as mesmerising. The images of the people and the vehicles took me right back to a time when we were freer.

A spuriously linked subject...
Roy Harper.....

When I was 18 in 1969, my girlfriend's sister was one of the organisers of a big underground-music event in Manchester university. Many bands, known on the 'underground' circut, were there including Edgar Broughton and Pink Floyd. Strange to think of it now but Roy Harper was top of the bill. There was a small fairground in the car-park under the building and a string quartet playing in the entrance hall.

I was a Pink Floyd enthusiast and had seen them in concert twice already. I also loved Roy Harper so I was well pleased to get free pass. Pink Floyd were amazing and I later found out that some of that set was recorded and became part of the live part of Ummagumma.

Roy Harper was late, as was his reputation. It was expected that he would turn-up late and very stoned, so the whole audience stuck around and waited through various fill-ins. He arrived at about 1am. and talked and played. There were funny anecdotes and stoned excuses, punctuated by songs, he kept that audience riveted. At about 7am. when maybe only about 20% had left, the caretaker came on stage to ask him to stop as the hall was needed for an exam that day. He negotiated with the caretaker in front of the audience and secured another room downstairs to continue. About half of the audience that was left followed him downstairs where he carried-on entertaining until who knows what time. My girlfriend, Gill, had fallen asleep in my lap and I soon followed her. Roy Harper. What a guy!. He looks younger in that video from 84 than he did back in 69.
Weed

Post by Weed »

the first time you come to this page there's sometimes a delay of several seconds (or more?) before the vids appear -- they show ok in the following browsers on standard security settings -

Chrome 3.0.195.27
Firefox 3.5.3
MSIE 7.0.5730.13
Opera 10.00
Safari 3.1.2

@Dom - interesting to read your memories of Roy Harper -- i remember Scratch playing his albums early on in Grosvenor Road
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

I remember singing along to this one, didn't scratch play it as well?
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Brilliant! He did sing a short version of that on the Stonehenge vid. I think this one is from the late s 70s. He seems to be quite troubled here. He was always full-bearded even back in 69. The first time I saw him shaven was in that 84 Stonehenge vid and he looks like he had shed a few shackles as well as his beard.

The favourite album that Scratch used to play was 'Flat Baroque And Berserk'. I don't think I've heard it since then.