Festivals

Forum for the discussion of well anything really
Weed

Festivals

Post by Weed »

i think it's worth starting a new topic on upcoming festivals which people are thinking of going to -- i just got some info about the Out Of The Ordinary (OOTO) Festival from Gerda, who went last year and had a good time there -

OOTO Equinox Sunrise - 18th-20th Sept 2009
http://www.outoftheordinaryfestival.com/

"live music, healing events and ceremonies, amazing workshops & talks, healthy food and drink and an incredible vibe, all set in the beautiful fields and woodland of the Sussex Downs"
Last edited by Weed on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weed

a couple of festivals for hippies

Post by Weed »

have just received threat of being kidnapped and taken off to a local festie coming up soon -- i'll probably struggle, but may be overwhelmed and dragged away from my puter for the weekend -- it's The 2nd Cosmic Puffin Festival, Easter weekend (10th-12th April) 2009, at Mersea Outdoors, Colchester (Essex) -

http://www.cosmicpuffin.co.uk/

also, in mid-summer (10th-11th July) there's Solstock, the Summer of Love Party (celebrating the 40th anniversary of Woodstock), which is happening in Hawkhurst (Kent) -

http://www.solparty.org.uk/
Last edited by Weed on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Re: a couple of festivals for hippies

Post by Joviale »

Weed wrote:also, in mid-summer (10th-11th July) there's Solstock, the Summer of Love Party (celebrating the 40th anniversary of Woodstock), which is happening in Hawkhurst (Kent) /
That sounds like a very nice little event, and i love incredible string band and willimason will be there, and turner! Good old days, and all that.

:surfing:

I might be in england at that time but one has to book in advance. Anybody else going to make it worth my while? If so, i'll make sure i'm already there, (and see first if i can book from abroad!).
See you there?
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution
Weed

Re: Festivals

Post by Weed »

i just spoke with Brig, and he mentioned this year's Big Green Gathering, which is another possible place for people to meet up, cos i expect some will be going anyway -- it's near Weston-Super-Mare (North Somerset), July 29th - 2nd August 2009 -

http://www.big-green-gathering.com/

the problem with festivals is that often the smaller ones sell out cos they only have a limited number of tickets, tho i think the BGG should be ok for anyone deciding at the last minute (and they need lots of people going to make up for last year)
Last edited by Weed on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weed

Post by Weed »

Small World Spring Festival, 21st-25th May, mid-Kent

http://smallworldsolarstage.org/smallworld/index.html
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Message from Brig
Sounds like we (i.e. you (he means me, i think :roll: ) )could put together an ex-GR steward team or two, and all be camped together in the crew area with free entry and meals, and coordinated shift pattern. will consult with our steward coordinator whether it is best for you to all sign up via our website, or in some other coordinated manner that would allow the stewarding people to recognise you as a group and programme you accordingly. Stewarding does not necessarily involve standing around doing nothing - it could involve sitting by a fire answering people's queries and passing radio messages when needed. I will also inquire whether other departments (e.g. box office) might be short staffed, but these have coordinators who usually like to recruit among people they already know.
Brig
People interrested should let me know, unless someone else wonts to be responsable for organising this steward team. I wouldn't mind at all! ;)
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Message from Brig
Lets see if we can assemble a group first. If we had a group of 8 or more, that could be a steward team who could then be organised to work together in the same area and on the same shifts. This is good from both the point of view of the stewards themselves and the Gathering, as the group has built-in
cohesiveness and loyalty to each other, e.g. someone (or more) makes sure they're all up if they're doing an early shift, people support each other and don't like letting each other down, etc.
There's no big rush at the moment, but obviously the sooner we can get it together the easier it will be to make the arrangements. This could include people arriving early and doing some of their shifts during the last couple of days of the build-up, so that they would be free for more of the Gathering itself, for example. If we can get a group together, and you send me a list of names, addresses and emails, I will get it registered with the steward coordinators: by the end of May would be quite soon enough for that. (Sooneer could be better, though, because we will have a steward training course in May which some people might like to attend - good fun, radio practice, first aid and fire
fighting instruction (inc. actually using an extginguisher to put a fire out!), health and safety stuff, dealing with lost kids and welfare cases, etc., a certificate at the end, and the chance to do other stewarding work at other events, some of it paid.)
If we end up with only 3 or 4, however, they will still be able to register as individuals certainly until at least the end of June.
Not many answers so far, anybody interrested, send me a personnal message or a mail
Weed

Post by Weed »

another interesting festival looks to be Sunrise Celebration's "Off-Grid Transition Festival" -

http://www.sunrisecelebration.com/news/ ... ?docid=118

It's being held from "20th-23rd August 2009 on a gorgeous organic site in Somerset. This new camp is a deep exploration of community living, creativity and consciousness, with hands-on activities, talks, workshops, performance, music, art and celebration."

Among the speakers will be Greg Sams, who, since the death of Nicholas Saunders in 1998, is probably England's best known counterculture figure
Joviale
Site Admin

Re: Festivals BGG

Post by Joviale »

Still not many answers and i should tell brigg soon about if we want to participate as "staff" and therefore have a nice spot to camp and get in free.
Failing more answers i'll just have to tell him to forget it and leave it at that. :( I'll meet whoever turns up.
Weed

Post by Weed »

Jov, if you're definitely going to be there, then i'll pass the info on to those who aren't online etc