Having problems with the board?
who knows someone might know the answer
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

setting up an Avatar

Post by Joviale »

I'm trying ro put my photo with my old van but i went to edit avatar, and posted a link but it says that it doen't work, any idea?
Last edited by Joviale on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the Grosvenor Road Message board

Post by Chris S-S »

Hi Joelle
You may well need to edit your image to less than 90*90 pixels it must also be less than a certain size in Kb it should say

might either of those have been the problem?

A visit to http://www.phpbb.com/support might help your understanding of the way things work.

sorry not to be more help

Chris
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the Grosvenor Road Message board

Post by Chris S-S »

Just checked and the maximum size for an avatar is 90*90pixels and 6 kB
and if you used the image you used on Facebook it is 200*200 pixels and 11.38 kB
chris
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Weed

Re: setting up an Avatar

Post by Weed »

Joviale wrote:i'll try blue
the light blue is very hard for me to read -- maybe my monitor has the brightness set too high - if so, am probably over-compensating for my previous monitor which was dark even at the best settings

i prefer black for text unless there's a special reason, cos it's easier for people with visual disabilities to read (eg colour blindness), and also i don't want to take chances with stuff not being indexed by search engine robots, which tend to look suspiciously at text that is a similar colour to the background -- maybe i'm being way too cautious, but SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) was my job for 10 years and i'm obviously a creature of habit...

how boring is that! lol

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

Hi Joelle

You will find PhpBB's support documentation in French at http://www.phpbb-fr.com/

Chris
Chris Selwyn-Smith

paul

Post by paul »

Hoi J. that light blue is unreadable.

less brighter days P.

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

I've searched that site and I still don't know how to set up an avatar. ???????? Help! -- this is the support forum and this topic is 'setting up an avatar but I'm still lost. Someone must know how it's done.

Weed

Post by Weed »

Dom -- first you need a pic -- have you found one yet?

(i owe you an email... i was going to talk about graphics in it, cos i thought u might be interested -- may do so yet)

once you've found a pic you like, which looks ok at the size of the other avatar pics*, then unless the dimensions (height/width) and filesize are already small enough, you need to reduce them to a max of 90x90 pixels and 6Kb respectively -- there's lots of programs do this (including online ones), some more efficiently than others -- (if you have problems with this, then ask here for more info)

then click on "User Control Panel" (top left of any page in the forum) -- this brings up a page with a list of "Options" -- click on "Profile" -- this opens out to reveal some more options including "Edit avatar"

either upload an image from your own machine to the forum (use the "Browse" button to find it on your own machine) -- or type/copy in the address of the online image you want to use into the "Upload from a URL:" box -- if you know the image dimesions, then type them in the boxes, and if not delete the numbers already there -- then click on "Submit"

* don't forget that people have different screen setups, so your avatar (along with everything else) will appear a bit bigger on some people's screens and a bit smaller on other people's screens

Weed

Post by Weed »

re the file format (the way the image has been saved as a computer file) -- probably best stick to .jpg (jpeg) or .gif -- these are accepted by most boards, so you can use the same avatar elsewhere if you need to -- also .png is usually ok, but less common

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Thanks Weed, - I had been through that 'user control panel' many times but couldn't find 'edit avatar'. Another example of my brain rot. I had already prepared about six pics to size, so I may change it occasionally. I made that Saturn in 'Paint' and played about with it in 'photoshop'.