including images in posts

Having problems with the board?
who knows someone might know the answer
Weed

including images in posts

Post by Weed »

if you want to include images in your posts, then do not link directly to pics on other people's sites without permission because -

* if the person who looks after the other site removes the original picture or change its filename then the picture in your forum post disappears

* if another picture is substutited (using the same filename) then your forum post can be subverted (eg it could display an ad for a commercial company or a political party instead of the picture you wanted)

* it's bad etiquette -- many people regard it as theft because it's using up the other site's bandwidth, and bandwidth costs money -- and it might even close down their site if they are near their bandwidth limit -- it also affects the other site's logs analysis (traffic statistics)

there are other reasons, but these will do for a public forum ;)

so what you should do for pics on other sites which you want to use in your forum posts is 1) save them to your own PC (using right click), and 2) include them in your forum posts using the "Filename / browse" and "Attachment" facilities (rather than the "Insert image" facility)

Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Re: including images in posts

Post by Joviale »

ok, but what about using photo's coming from the old page. Do i have to use that procedure, considering some where mine in the first place and the others have been given to be posted by people who couldn't or wouldn't do it themselves?
:?
And do you mean i must copy all the photos in the particular forum "who lived where?" in my flicker or in my computer? If it is in my computer i had understood that that was what took a lot to time to open.
Sorry if i do things wrong, i'm just not used to these tools.
And while am at it, i might as well use your competence: the photos from your site are nice and big, they seem to adjust to the size of the creen, the ones from my flicker don't, why? What should i do.
As i'm in the process of creating the same kind of topics for other houses, i might as well learn the correct procedure, even if it's more work! Unless of course other people start doing it themselves for their own house or other's (nudge nudge, know what i mean!)
hugs
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Weed

Post by Weed »

(linking directly to images on other people's web space is called "hotlinking" and is nearly always bad)

> what about using photo's coming from the old page

i've no objection for now -- BUT it's at your own risk... and it's almost certain that at some point you'll go to look at your post and find that the pics you are linking to on wussu.com are not there, because (eg) -

* i sometimes update photos (eg do some more work on them in photoshop) and then they are given different filenames, and the old files are removed

* the next time i rearrange the wussu.com site, the pictures might be stored in a different folder -- so the link addresses you are using will be wrong

* more importantly, i'm planning to move wussu.com to another web host later this year, and it's possible that *all* direct linking to images will be blocked

> considering some [were] mine in the first place

this is not about ownership of the original pictures -- it's about you controlling the content of your forum posts -- this is in your own interest -- if you link directly to pics on another web site, this allows the owner of the other web site to change the content of your forum posts

let me know if you're still not convinced, and i'll replace the wussu.com pics you're linking to with hardcore p*rn images! in the past i've done worse things to people who've linked directly to my pics :>

> And do you mean i must copy all the photos in the particular forum "who lived where?" in my flicker or in my computer?

all the pics you want to use can be stored on web space belonging to grosvenor-road.co.uk

if there are pictures on other sites that you want to use in a forum post, it is best to first download them to your own computer, and then to attach them to your forum post using the attachment/browse facility so that they are uploaded to grosvenor-road.co.uk, which is where they will be stored

however many of the pics you want may be on the CD i did in September -- so when you are posting to the forum and want to attach an image you can browse the CD and directly upload pics from there

(web page files, including image and sound files, are stored on a 'web server', a computer which can be accessed by a web browser -- a 'web host' will often own hundreds, or even thousands of web servers, and they will rent out 'web space' (hard disc storage space for files) and 'bandwidth' (how much 'traffic' is allowed... how often the files can be accessed by web browsers) -- the web host for grosvenor-road.co.uk and wussu.co.uk is a company called Dreamhost.com -- the web host for wussu.com is GoDaddy.com -- large net companies such as Flickr and Facebook have their own web servers)

> the photos from your site are nice and big, they seem to adjust to the size of the [screen], the ones from my flicker don't, why?

Flickr do not like people linking directly to larger images -- it may not be possible to link to full size Flickr images when posting to forums (?) -- there is some info about linking to Flickr images at -

http://www.flickr.com/help/photos
and
http://www.ehow.com/how_2070652_add-fli ... -page.html

PS from the Flickr page - "whenever you place an image you're storing on Flickr on an external web site, you must also include a link back to Flickr"

PS some of the original pics on the Flickr site are quite small -- eg i should probably have scanned in your pics at a higher resolution so that the full size image would be bigger on the screen

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

ok, i'm convinced! I wasn't arguing, just i didn't know!
So if i undestand rightly, the best thing to do for ALL the images is to take them directly from the source (i.e. your cd) and then copy them in my message. This way, there's no risk of them changing, even if i myself change something in my flicker)?
Then i will have to work out the size business for mine, i.e. alter it in photoshop to be the same size as yours?
Anyway, at least my mistake was usefull because other people might not be any more aware than i am of posting "rules".
Hugs
j.

Well i tried inserting the photos as files but then it just adds them at the end of the message, so it doesn't look very nice. So i'm going to move them to my flicker (the ones that are not ther already, after doing something about the size. I should have known it wasn't gonnna be that easy!
j.

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

So i've done all that, but my photo's are smaller than yours event though i've given them exactly the same size in photoshop, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
(see the first one, i left it for you to check the difference)
Any idea why?
hugs
j.

Weed

Post by Weed »

> the best thing to do for ALL the images is to take them directly from the source (i.e. your cd)

maybe -- if the images on the CD are the best available -- but some of them might have been cleaned up since then or maybe rescanned at a higher resolution

> and then copy them in my message

you mean 'attach' them to your message? yes

> even if i myself change something in my flicker)?

yes, so if you (or someone else) deletes your Flickr pics it will not affect your forum post

if you want to have the same pic in Flickr and in forum posts, then upload them separately to each application -- don't try and link the individual pics

(if there's a pic on Flickr you want to attach to a forum post, then make sure you download the largest size version of the Flickr pic so that you are working with the best quality image available)

> the size business for mine, i.e. alter it in photoshop

when you change the size, the picture quality gets worse -- if you make the picture smaller, then you lose information, and if you make the picture bigger then the graphics program has to guess what the extra information is, and it will make mistakes

for photos it is usually better to make a big picture smaller

[there's no way to make pictures the same size *and* the same quality unless the original photos are the same size and are scanned in at the same resolution]

> Anyway, at least my mistake was usefull because other people might not be any more aware than i am of posting "rules"

most people have no idea at all about posting and editing images lol -- i don't know a lot about it -- the commonest mistake people make is that they think that the picture they see on their screen is the same size and colour as everyone else sees -- it isn't !!

> it just adds them at the end of the message

?? after you have 'browsed' and selected and 'added' the file you want to attach, a button appears next to the "Attachments" box saying "Place inline" -- if you click on this button it places the picture 'inline' (where your cursor is)

*** don't forget that the larger the pics are on your forum post, the longer they will take people to download especially for people on dial up (who do not have broadband) or who are accessing the net via mobile phones etc -- so if the combined size of all the pics is greater than 100K then they may get bored waiting for the pics to download and go somewhere else
Last edited by Weed on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Weed

Post by Weed »

> my photo's are smaller than yours event though i've given them
> exactly the same size in photoshop, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Any idea why?

you uploaded the orignal photo(s) and not the one(s) you resized -- i think the "small" photos attached to your forum post are the same size as the original scans

*** the forum layout is fixed, so if photos are too wide the right side will get chopped off -- eg this has happened to Dominic's drawing of No 7

why do you want all the photos the same size? it's usually better to have different size photos of high quality rather than the same size photos at lower quality (which is why people use thumbnails)

there's a lot of photos attached to your forum post, and they're quite big -- so it takes a while for them to download, even using broadband -- that's why it's best to use a gallery program (like Chris SS's) or a dedicated gallery site like Flickr for photos, and then link to it

rather than attach lots of photos to your forum post it would be easier to make a number 7 "set" in Flickr and then add a link to the set page from your forum post -- it's very easy to arrange photos into different sets at Flickr -- just choose a name for the set and them select the photos you want in it -- once a pic has been uploaded it can be used in lots of different sets

(i haven't used the prog Chris SS's page, but it probably has a similar facility for organising pics into different groups)

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

??

Joviale posted a picture of The Barmy Arms last week and It has been 'viewed' 42 times. I posted one of The Cabbage Patch at 3am today and it's been 'viewed' 24 times already. could this be a problem? if so I'll remove it. And what is meant by 'viewed'?

I notice that Joviale's recently posted b+w picture of the boards coming off No.7 has been viewed 64 times. (I think it should be pointed out that the *guy is trying to stop the hippies breaking into the house.)

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

If you're talking about Ken elmes he was actually helping us. We'd already moved in all our stuff was inside and bovis got workers to board the house up. I think it was ken who got the press. There was an account of the event on the first page coming from weeds web page. now replaced by your story which is more complete.
I go and get it and post it wit my photo.
About the views i wonder if it could be that some photos are posted in several places, such as facebook and get viewed more?

Weed

Post by Weed »

Dominic wrote:Joviale posted a picture of The Barmy Arms last week and It has been 'viewed' 42 times. I posted one of The Cabbage Patch at 3am today and it's been 'viewed' 24 times already. could this be a problem? if so I'll remove it. And what is meant by 'viewed'?
"viewed" really means "accessed" or "requested" -- this is the number of times someone or something on the internet requested that particular picture from the computer where it resides (in this case on a web-server at dreamhost.com, the web hosting company we are using) -- (server is just another name for a computer which is dishing out stuff to other computers, either locally or via the internet)

these days it's not usually a problem how many times a particular pic is viewed because server bandwidth is cheap -- by server bandwidth i mean the total amount of traffic in downloaded files from the hosting company per month) -- certainly there's no need yet to remove any files just cos lots of people are looking at them -- if it gets to 10,000,000 page views per day then maybe we'd need to do something, but we should be ok for a while :)

if there's lots of large files on a web page, then the person looking at the page may have to wait a long time for all the files to download -- for people still on dial-up this is a big problem -- however these days most people are changing to ever faster broadband access, so the problem isn't so common -- but it may appply to people accessing the net via mobile (??)
Dominic wrote:(I think it should be pointed out that the *guy is trying to stop the hippies breaking into the house.)
Joviale wrote:If you're talking about Ken elmes he was actually helping us...
Ken gives a reasonably accurate account of his involvement with Grosvenor Road in his autobiography -
If I Only Had Time