who knows someone might know the answer
Chris S-S
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

How to add pictures to posts

Post by Chris S-S »

As I have just typed this elsewhere I thougt I may as well paste it here

It isn't to hard to add pictures:

To post a picture held on your PC : go into the message editor and go down to bottom where it says Filename and browse to where the picture is on your computer it will upload to the forum's server if you then select "inline" it will display in the message .

If it is a picture hosted in the photos on the site then go to the album, display the picture and then right click on it and chose to open image in new window when it does that copy the web address and return to your message editor if you paste the address into your message and then select it and while highlighted, press the IMG button just above the message editing window it will display in your message. To check that all is well you can select the preview button and view it before posting it
as discussed elsewhere this can give problems if the page refereced is is removed or the filename changed.

For pictures from elsewhere on the web it is better to save them to your computer first.

See what could be simpler :)
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Dominic

Re: How to add pictures to posts

Post by Dominic »

I believe the safest way is to save the image in your own document files first and give it a new title. This cuts any connection to other sites.

Then resize reduce it to a maximum of 400 x 400 pixels, (I use photoshop for this but there may be other ways, I don't know).

When posting a reply, scroll down to "browse', - click on it, and your documents will appear. Select your image / file and then click on 'add the file'.

When it's loaded, scroll down to, and click on, 'place in-line'.

Then 'submit' -- or 'preview' first.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!!!!
Last edited by Dominic on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weed

Post by Weed »

Dominic wrote:Then resize it to maximum 400 x 400 pixels
unless there's a special reason it's best not to resize original pics that are less than 400x400 pixels -- wherever possible the original pic should be used -- almost every change made to a pic means that some of the info contained in the original pic is lost

even opening the pic in a graphics program and then immediately resaving it will degrade it unless all the pic info is saved (eg saved as a full size bitmap, or saved as a jpeg at photoshop level 12)

(however renaming the file within Windows itself does not affect the pic as the filename is stored separately from the image)
Dominic wrote:I use photoshop for this but there may be other ways, I don't know
graphics programs usually have various resize facilities (image size, canvas size, maintain proportions etc) -- Gimp is increasingly the program of choice for image manipulation, being open source (which in effect means free) -- the other popular program is Paint Shop Pro

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Thanks Weed, I've edited my last post a bit.

I understand that there is a way to add an image without reducing it, so that it appears reduced to 'max.400x400pix' but becomes full-size when ' viewed' in another window. How is that done?

It helps for looking at details if the original is larger and I imagine there would be less degradation. If this is true, then there would be no need for anyone to reduce pics before posting them.

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

This is a 1044 *1472 picture uploaded as it is, it automatically displays smaller at 284 * 400 until clicked upon, it was not reduced in any way prior to attaching to this post. it is not necessary
Chris S-S
grosvenor road 006.jpg
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Chris, you said before in 'topic' No.8 that you had made that possible. I tried then and I've just tried again and It's not possible for me to do that. I'm still barred from posting pics more than 400x400p. Perhaps Weed or Jo could try it, to confirm, or not. It might be that you've only allowed that for admin..

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Weed wrote:(however renaming the file within Windows itself does not affect the pic as the filename is stored separately from the image)
Does this mean that an image taken from another website is still linked to it, even after being saved and renamed.?

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

Dominic
Try it again.
I have made a couple of changes , It doesn't seem to make any difference for me or me trying to post images using your permissions but it may make the difference for others.

Chris
Attachments
grosvenor road 011.jpg
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Thanks Chris, I think it's working now.
no-8-caravan-ph-sh.jpg
So now, I guess, all references to the 'max.400x400pi' rule can be ignored.

Weed

Post by Weed »

Chris S-S wrote:I have made a couple of changes , It doesn't seem to make any difference for me or me trying to post images using your permissions but it may make the difference for others
yes, like Dom, i wasn't able to upload pics greater than 400x400 before, but now i can do it ok

in theory there's no problem re disk space and bandwidth, but maybe it's worth having an upper limit on filesize? (100K? 500K? 1MB?) -- if only cos the full size pic opens up in the same window, so it would save people having to stare at a blank screen for several minutes as a 100MB pic slowly downloads lol -- but there again it's probably not likely to be much of a problem in practice -- (tho i think it would be better if the full size image opened in its own window, so people don't have to reload the forum page when returning to it -- but maybe it's too late, and people here have already got used to the way it is, like with the URLs lol)

NB for pics larger than 400x400, a reduced size image is created to be displayed on the page with its message -- this has same filename but different file size as the original uploaded pic, which is displayed when the reduced size image is clicked on -- so anyone wanting to copy the image should copy the full-size image, and not the one shown with the message
Dominic wrote:Does this mean that an image taken from another website is still linked to it, even after being saved and renamed.?
no -- when you download, copy or save a file it does not contain any history of where it has come from (tho i guess it'd be possible to create a virus which could do that, but the file would change every time it was copied or downloaded, so it woudn't be the same file as the original) -- however your own computer may keep a (usually temporary) record of where a file has been downloaded from; and in the case of files accessed over the web, the computer where the downloaded file came from will keep a record of where it's been downloaded to -- but the downloaded file itself has no connection with the computer containing the original file it was copied from