more smilies

Having problems with the board?
who knows someone might know the answer
Weed

more smilies

Post by Weed »

Chris, have you come across an 'import more smilies'' option? (if not i can have a look) -- i've a few good ones saved somewhere, from when the venus animated gifs archive was up and running

Chris S-S
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Re: more smilies

Post by Chris S-S »

I have figured out how you add smilies if you want me to do that if you know how to create a pak of them that makes installation easier but they can still be done separately.
Chris
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

If you ever do, there are some nice ones here:

http://merco.aceboard.fr/sm/index.htm
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Joviale wrote:If you ever do, there are some nice ones here:

http://merco.aceboard.fr/sm/index.htm
Just thought i'll write something to wake this forum up! I wrote a message to kate and tried to insert one of the above smilies with img before and after but it didn't work. Any idea? Or is it possible to add them to the list? If you find out how, i would be interrested to use it for another forum i'm on (mercotribe, fans of mercedes vans).
Thanks

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

Hello Joelle :hello:

Good to hear from you

I have added a few of the smileys to the message editing page it is something that needs to be added from the admin panel
after uploading the images to the phpBB server

If there are any you particularly want send me a link and I will try and upload them for you

all the best
Chris
:mexican wave:
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Well, i'm quite happy about your selection, but i'll have a look if there are any others i particularly like. :very happy:
Perhaps people would want too choose some more and tell you the url of the actual smiley they like (it's there: http://merco.aceboard.fr/sm/index.htm).
And could you tell me exactly how it works so as i can explain to the administrators of the mercotribe forum.
Is there a limit too the amount you can add?
Thanks (and when are you coming too sunny and warm provence?)

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

some of my favourites:

... and it seems that all i had to do was to write the url of the image and click on [/img]

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

Hi Joelle
Here is how it's done.
* Add the image that you want to be used as smiley in your server at /phpBB3/images/smiles/.
* Go to Smilies in the Administrative Panel and click on Add a New Smiley button.
* Choose the image that you have added in your server for the second field, you will see a preview of the same there.
* For the first field enter the code that you want to use for that smiley.
* And in the third field enter the emotion that the smiley represents. And then Click on Submit.
* Repeat this steps for all the smilies that you want to add. :geek:
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Weed

Post by Weed »

hi Jov,

just like with normal images it can be DANGEROUS to use a pic from someone's else's site unless you know and trust them

traditionally people with sites have to pay for bandwidth -- everytime someone looks at your post the images are reloaded from the original site they are on and this uses up the bandwidth of the original site (it's called "bandwidth theft") -- even if bandwidth is very cheap or free, if an excessive amount is used a site may be closed down by its hosting company

more importantly, it gives the owner of the original site the power to access our bulletin board -- it makes it possible for them to put up any picture they want (eg ads, political propaganda, hardcore * etc) simply by changing the pic and using the same filename

it also can sometimes give the owner of the original site the power to affect the message board page itself by stopping it fully downloading, or make it difficult to view the messages

i used to have a large animated gifs archive, and bandwidth theft was a major problem, especially where an image was being linked to from several sites some of which had very heavy traffic -- sometimes people ignored my warnings or were abusive, and i would take great pleasure in choosing inapproprite images which would cause them great embarrassment when they discovered what had happenend to their pages :>

it's always best to save the image you want to use (right click -> save) and then upload them to your own web space (here at grosvenor-road.co.uk)

also it's important to check the filesize -- sometimes small images can use up a lot of memory, and the more images there are, the longer the page takes to download, which can be a problem for people not using broadband (eg using dial-up access or mobile phones)

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Well, you started this topic and now you say we shouldn't do it?
In fact, these smilies come from the mercotribe web site and have been created by mercotribe participants. They were on the previous web site which collapsed this summer, i had saved the images, so i can tell the admins their url and what to do (what chris says in the above message) to stick them back in the new website. It runs with a different type of whatever is used to make tese things work and the admins are still learning as they go along.
Is it still a problem?
hugs
j.