posting sound

Having problems with the board?
who knows someone might know the answer
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

posting sound

Post by Joviale »

I'm regularly doing radio programmes on our radio.
:DJ:
I've just made one on tuesday with old lp's, mainly things we used to listen to back in the old days (incredible string band, bowie, arlo guthry's motorcycle song...) is there an easy way to post it on the forum? It's about 1,30 hour so i don't think i can post it on something like utube, or whatever these things are called.
My idea is to try and post it on our radio website (but i have to ask our technician because i haven't the faintest idea how do do that!) and then make a link to it, is that the standard procedure?
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Joviale
Site Admin

Re: posting sound

Post by Joviale »

I talked to our radio technician and he says it's possible to make a link on our ftp address. I have yet to find out how to make sure that people browsing the forum can go to that vpart of the ftp page but not wander about elsewhere (if that makes sense?).
If all goes well, i should be posting the sound begining of next week.

Weed

Post by Weed »

@Joelle - ftp access sounds like it's just a simple download of the whole file -- if so, then people won't be able to listen to it until the file has finished downloading -- however if your techie is very helpful and generous, he might set it up to stream so that it plays as it downloads

if not, then we can download the whole file and then reupload it to grosvenor-road.co.uk and stream it ourselves

@Chris - grosvenor-road.co.uk comes with 2 different streaming options -- i've been meaning to get into it for ages, but haven't got very far yet -- there's basic info on the main dreamhost.com web site and almost certainly plenty of detailed info in the Dreamhost support Wiki, FAQ and forum

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

Hi Joelle

If you can host your radio show on the radio stations own site as an mp3 it can be streamed like this.

I have just set this up, it is created by using the MP3 button now found in the posting styles and inserting the URL when creating new posts.

Making it a sticky post and then overwriting the file using the same name to update it would mean that it is regularly updated without further intervention.

We could host the audio here but it would need passing to me and then uploading and the file sizes for several hours could be pretty large. there would also be possible copyright issues hosting it here so it may make more sense to keep it with you and link to the URL .

I hope this helps
Enjoy

Chris SS
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Weed wrote:if not, then we can download the whole file and then reupload it to grosvenor-road.co.uk and stream it ourselves
I'm asked by our techie what is the compression rate you would be using. Because, at the moment the programmes we are posting on ftp are spoken programmes with a high compression rate so as people can download them quickly. But it is not very good for music. So we could post the link to you with a lower compression rate, if you tell us which one you would be using. This means that you would be doing the posting rather than me, is that what you meant? :oops:

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

I'm asked by our techie what is the compression rate you would be using.
I don't think we have any specific compression requirements if it is in an MP3 format it should play. the only limitation being moving data fast enough for a pleasing experience I just checked from the music on ZinZine and it appeared to be 112Kbps which was breaking up, 96Kbps seemed to be streaming fine for me and sounds OK if not HiFi.

I am concerned that if we host copyright material at grosvenor-road.co.uk and make it available for download then we will potentially get a lot of grief however your radio station presumably has sorted it 's copyright responsibilities and there would therefore be no problem with us streaming it from the stations own servers.
This means that you would be doing the posting rather than me, is that what you meant?
I am sorry I don't quite understand what you mean

Luv
Chris S-S
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Well i'm not very good at these sort of things so i'm trying to translate what our techie says!
Listening to the radio "live" as it is being made, so to speak, is no problem, it is streamed, whatever that means. The issue is copying an old programme (well, last week) somewhere so as people can listen to it at any time. You can't normally do that on our radio. At the moment, we have a few of our spoken programmes on that ftp address i was talking about, but, it seems that the compression is very high which is no problem for speaking voices but seems to be problematic for music.
Weed seemed to think it was technically possible to host it on the site (as far as copy right is concerned, as a non-commecial radio,
we pay a yearly contribution to the SACEM, which is the company in charge with artist's rights). This is why our technician asked which rate of compression was needed and he would compress the file to just that rate and post it on the ftp and i would send it personnaly to weed would would then have topost it himself...
All this seems far beyond my competences, so perhaps i'll just give up that idea and carry on posting messages saying which day and when i'm at the radio and people will just have to listen at that particular time, if they can.