for info - word censoring

Having problems with the board?
who knows someone might know the answer
Weed

for info - word censoring

Post by Weed »

Chris, i noticed that 'enable word censoring' is currently on by default -- i've disabled it for myself but others might want to use it -- however phpBB doesn't seem to have any default word lists -- so if one is needed, then there's a php format English Badword List at -

http://www.4cm.com/badwordlist/

Chris S-S
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Re: for info - word censoring

Post by Chris S-S »

Bad word list has been installed
so god help any one saying * now
Doh!
Chris
Chris Selwyn-Smith

paul

Post by paul »

Beter,to switch out the word censor. Now I can say "masticate" should the need arise.
P.

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Chris, we have another asterix, this time it's a completely innocent word. f i t t e d.

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

Thanks Dom
It can be switched off in the users control Panel if you wanted
god knows why it got triggered it was for the use of fitt* which certainly isn't in my vocabulary.

I have gone through the word list and have removed any that are really obscure or likely to be triggered by mistake or of minimal offence.

Chris
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Has anyone found a reason why 'Fitt' would be censored?

The latest one to be censored from me was '*', the word for a female dog. What's that all about?

In the topic 'No.16' the word 'Shag' is used in a sexual context, (not carpet or tobacco) and that wasn't censored. What's that all about?

If 'Hell' is censored, as it once was, why wasn't 'Heaven'. Can we refer to The Devil or Satan. Do the censors know what * is? or dogging? (Well, that triggered it. - I had thought it may be based on American slang, which, I believe, doesn't include that W word.). It's not a word I use, much, and never as abuse in it's other form.

I used a persons name, 'Dick', and it was censored, I wonder if they think '*' is as dirty as 'Dick'? (it looks like it is in our censor) And yet * has been used a lot recently in the news from America, (* Mac) (credit crisis). I thought that was a word for 'bottom' or 'bum' in America. Whoops! sorry, - a bum is an undesirable, poor person, or beggar, isn't it?

I think this topic should be used to find all the censored words that are not offensive and visa-versa. I think the word censor is a shagging load of defecation.
Last edited by Dominic on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

Has anyone found a reason why 'Fitt' would be censored?
It would appear to be to protect the sensibilities of our wide Norwegian and Swedish readership it can have A or an E after it check out.

http://www.urbandictionary.com

I consider it not so much as an assault on my human rights but as broadening of my vocabulary :lol:
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Chris, - I didn't mention 'human rights'. Do I sense a bit of cynicism?. I'm glad though, that you're prepared to enter this debate.
--------------<>--------------

As not many people are prepared to write about, or debate, Grosvenor Road, perhaps some people might want to have this debate. Just for fun of course. Nothing to do with human rights but it might help to broaden the vocabulary for some, as studying the dictionaries and Wikipedia does for others. And, as I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not proud).) a 'forum' is a place for debate.

I'm using the English language, as best I can, not Norwegian. I would not be offended if I was reading something in Norwegian and one of their proper words was a bit like one of our swear words. I might give an infantile chuckle, but I wouldn't be offended or insist that they don't use that word. (Does that make sense?)

I guess I'm not as worldly as those Norwegians reading English because I don't know any other languages. So I will assume that all the Norwegians reading this are more intelligent than I am. So I imagine that they wouldn't be offended by an English word that looked a bit like one of their swear words.

Of course, when I say Norwegians, I mean anyone whose first language isn't English.

Contrary to the point Chris makes, I would say that we are having our 'vocabulary' narrowed. (Although the word 'vocabulary' can't be right because we're not vocalising, we are writing.)

An example would be the word 'b i t c h'. as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong, that is the proper word for a female dog. (or should I say canine? As I believe 'dog' is the male version). Just because some people might use that word as a derogatory term for some female humans shouldn't mean that I shouldn't use it in it's proper context.

It's strange that 'dog' isn't censored, as that is sometimes used to describe nasty male humans. My use of the word * is being denied / censored. I no longer have a word for 'female dog', my range of words / vocabulary has been narrowed in this case.

I remember when 'gay' meant something like 'light-hearted, innocent, happiness' until it was used, inappropriately in my mind, to describe homosexuality and now it's used as abuse in school playgrounds, how mad is that?. I don't think we have a word to take it's original place.

I have enough trouble with English, I'm not good with languages. I'm not about to study Norwegian or any other language just to find their 'bad' words that look or sound a bit like proper English words, so I can then eliminate them from my language. That would be stupid I think.

There's a word, 'stupid' that's often used in a derogatory way. Will that go on 'the list', or is it only words that have possible sexual reference. No, that can't be it because 'shag' is hardly ever used any other way these days.

Please excuse my little rant, I have a serious point to make but I don' take it all that seriously, really!. I do accept that language evolves and changes despite what we might think and I accept Weed's explanation regarding 'web searches', but I don't accept that we don't have have the right to debate it. It's not so much about 'human rights' as it is about 'the freedom of speech', and communication for it's own sake, (just for fun!).
Last edited by Dominic on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Weed

Post by Weed »

if you unenable word censoring in your control panel, doesn't that allow you to see and use whatever words you want?

more generally, filtering software has to be able to deal with multi-lingual stuff cos it's used by people all over the world, but which words are chosen to be filtered out (for those who chose to have filtering enabled) depends on which banned words list has been chosen by the forum admin -- no doubt there's lots of lists out there to suit all tastes, but it has to be remembered that -

forums are neither fair nor democratic LOL

PS i'm always amazed by how many people use search engines such as Google without being aware that the default setting for filtering is usually "on" (in Google's case, "medium")

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

if you unenable word censoring in your control panel, doesn't that allow you to see and use whatever words you want?
Where would be the fun in that? :lol:
Chris Selwyn-Smith