Having problems with the board?
who knows someone might know the answer
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Re: for info - word censoring

Post by Joviale »

Chris S-S wrote:
if you unenable word censoring in your control panel, doesn't that allow you to see and use whatever words you want?
Where would be the fun in that? :lol:
I still don't understand: enable means "allow to work" or something like that so if i say no in my profile, it should let me see the naughty words of other people or myself, or shouldnt it?
In my last message i wrote a word which was censored even though i'd answered no to the enabling question. I don't care i just followed dominic's example and typed spaces between each letters. That censor is just silly you can fool it really easily, so what's the point?
(I know it is not us forcing this feature on people, that it is a general practice, but in that case, is the point just to protect the admins from complaints or is there something else?
ok i :gone:
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution
Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

I still don't understand: enable means "allow to work" or something like that so if i say no in my profile, it should let me see the naughty words of other people or myself, or shouldnt it?
Hi Joelle
I just had a look and it would appear you have it enabled in your user settings.
Chris Selwyn-Smith
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

------<>-------
In my 'user settings' I've opted for NO to 'enable word censoring' but it still censored * and gay. (That's - b i t c h - and - g a y.)

I don't mind that I can't disable it but I do like to see what words are being censored. I can edit my posts to get past the censor, by using spaces. But when I see asterisks in other peoples posts, I would like to disable the word censor, just to see what they originally wrote.

It's a bit inconvenient but if we have to have it, I suppose that's that. I do, however, find it difficult to ignore. I like to know when our words are being manipulated. To ignore it would be ignorance.

When we get bored with this particular 'bad words list', maybe we could have a different one, so we can mock another set of sensibilities. The administration could announce the change giving the title and details of any new list. Just for fun.
Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

In my 'user settings' I've opted for NO to 'enable word censoring' but it still censored
Hi Dom
I have just looked at your message display options and you also seem to have the censor enabled, I wonder if you and Joelle are clicking on submit at the bottom after changing settings.

Chris S-S
Chris Selwyn-Smith
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Chris, - I've just tried twice to submit my preferences and it hasn't worked. Is it possible that when you changed the posting permission for guests, you accidentally took away our ability to disable the word censor.
Weed

Post by Weed »

@Chris SS - following up Dom's post, yes, it doesn't look like unenabling the censor in the user profile has any effect

is there an "override user settings" option for the word censor? -- i've seen it asked for as a feature, but i don't know whether it's been implemented.. i'll keep digging...

ok, it looks like there's a bug in the code for 3.0 + a patch -- details at -

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=622205

i think i saw a ref somewhere for manually changing the relevant bit in the individual settings, but that would have to be done separately for each user -- so if you feel like following all this up, then maybe try the patch first? :)
Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

Thanks for that Weed.

I have updated the forum software to the current stable release and that seems to have sorted that problem so apologies for not having clocked this earlier I didn't realise people couldn't turn it off.
Chris Selwyn-Smith
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

OK!. the disable / unenable function is now working and from now on I will have to check, while not logged-in, to see what has been censored so I can then edit it with spaces, I wouldn't want anyone who isn't registered to be denied some of the words that I choose to use. It may lead to misunderstanding.

I will, as always, try to not use words that I think are offensive, 'respect', but it's a matter of taste. What's not offensive to me might be offensive to others and visa versa. The trouble is, with me, I have a tendency to want to use stronger taboo words when I feel that my taste / sensibilities 'aren't being respected' / censored.

If we can get past the censor as simply as putting spaces in a word, does that also fool the unwanted web searches? I want to be understood by normal guest browsers but I wouldn't want to undermine any essential security to the forum.

I resent being censored on words like gay and * because that's normal inoffensive language to me, used in the 'proper' way. Even using gay to mean homosexuality is supposed to be non-offensive in the modern PC world (whoops! -not the computer shop - 'politically correct').

Although If I were homosexual I would consider it to be stereotyping. Not all homo's are joyous.

So, If I use spaces to get past the censor with words like gay and *, will that attract unwanted attention from the nasty '*' and 'gay' * bots.???
Last edited by Dominic on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Chris S-S wrote:Bad word list has been installed
so god help any one saying * now
Doh!
Chris
Now I can see the word hiding behind the asterisk. Previously I thought that you had put the asterisk there yourself, as a joke, now I see there is a censored word. I haven't a clue what it means. I have wasted some time trying to find it in slang dictionaries. Now I'm curious but not enough to do research on it. Perhaps you could explain its meaning, and, unless it's obvious, why it's censored. ( It looks like I'm showing my ignorance I know but surely if I was ignorant, I would just ignore it.) (I'm just showing how thick I am.)
Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

Now I can see the word hiding behind the asterisk. Previously I thought that you had put the asterisk there yourself, as a joke, now I see there is a censored word. I haven't a clue what it means. I have wasted some time trying to find it in slang dictionaries.
n. *.
"Want some *, Reggie?"

You see the word censor is educational too ;)
Chris Selwyn-Smith