Summer reunion 2009

For discussing the next reunion
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Re: Summer reunion

Post by Joviale »

WEED; i've just spoken with the guy who has the land - the place is near Chichester -- there's 2 options -

1) a general camping site -- adults UKP 3.50 per night, and children 2.00 per night -- the site will probably be shared with others, but apparently there's plenty of room

2) a field for larger gatherings (usually 100+) -- at present this is only available over weekends (tho he's currently trying to get permission for it to be used during the week) -- it's booked for the weekend of 10th/11th July but it would be available from Friday night 17th July to the Monday morning 20th July and the cost would be UKP 600.00

there are b&b facilities on site at UKP 20.00 per night

there's no problem with cars and large vans (tho from my own experience, being on grass, if it's very wet then i guess there could be problems with larger vehicles) -- dogs need to be kept on leads cos there's sheep around -- generators not allowed -- there's a water tap (but no other facilities), so we'd need to provide our own toilet facilities (we could hire a toilet unit from somewhere and have it brought onto the site... Dany said something about offering to put up the money for hiring a mobile toilet if necessary, but i'm not sure whether he'll remember having said it lol) -- open fires are ok -- music is ok as long as it doesn't disturb others

PS have we discussed meeting up at one of the festivals? there's quite a few smaller hippy / alternative / green festivals taking place throughout the summer, tho numbers are sometimes limited to a few hundred and in some cases may have already sold out -- then there's the larger festivals, such as the Big Green Gathering (which Brig, Tess and Martin and maybe others will be going to anyway)
Can we have feed-back on that. (according to the differents replies i had, mail/facebook and here, there's already 15 odd people who said probably...).
About toilets, i have plans to make dry toilets (and sun showers), if someone is into making the bits and then we put them together on dite, the guy might even be interrested in keeping it, with a discount for us?
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution
maggywebb

Post by maggywebb »

Hi all, just read through probably over a year's worth of backwards- and forwardsing of your energies and thoughts over a meet. I agree with Dominic that setting a date might give focus. I'm happy with what seems to be popular - late July (but Aug OK for me too). There's loads of potential round me in North Wales but as many have said it seems likely that the SE near London would be better for most. I'd be able and into joining in any of the suggestions - Chichester, camp sites, small festies. Not sure what I can contribute (?) but will keep in touch now I have a bit more time. GOOD to hear from you all and big TA to the persistent. PS Agree we need some waterproofing.
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Well 18 people so far have said, yes more than likely, and another two, may be. With another 5 months to go i'd say we manage to round up another 40 odd people, wich would mean an expense of 10£ each for the week-end. That seems to me more than reasonable, what do people think. I suppose that according to what tony says , if the place is very popular, we better book it early enough in advance not to lose that chance.
I had a mail from carol from exmoor saying she's not there anymore, and no reply from georges (tess's suggestion from las year). Other locations such as wales might not attract so many londeners. What do you think?
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Wales would suit me very well - any excuse to get in a bit of climbing and a stunning place to be. I could advise on campsites.
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Feed back, feed back!!! :chat:
If a lot of people are up to going to wales and it's free of charge, great, overwise, should we not concentrate on that other place!
I personnally would be happy to go elsewhere afterwards (or before), if people wont to organise smaller events, or inform about festivals where whoever is in a festival mood could meet. I nevertheless think that quite a few former roadies might not be in festival mood anymore, am i wrong?
Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

My vote goes for the south east, for those who have to work and live in London a visit to north Wales would mean travelling up there Saturday & returning Sunday I think it does have to be in range of the majority and Chichester would certainly suit me.

I may be able to find several porta potty type chemical toilets if needed.
Chris Selwyn-Smith
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Chris S-S wrote:I may be able to find several porta potty type chemical toilets if needed.
I also have one in my van which i hardly use, and as i say, i know how to build a dry one, very nice!
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

From Carol
Dear Joelle and everyone.
I have been a bad girl in not replying to your messages re. a possible reunion at our place on Exmoor. Sorry......!!!
Sadly we aren't there any more, the recession bit us on the bum and we've had to move back here to Bath. Goodbye lovely remote house with deer in the garden, goodbye peace and tranquillity, goodbye veg. patch, hallo horrible city streets with grumpy people, mass pollution and nowhere to plant as much as a single spud. Sigh. Actually if you had all come you would have been washed away down the valley with the endless rain, god, did it ever RAIN???!!
Anyroadup, count me in for the meet up in Sussex please, am looking forward to seeing everyone. If any of the gang are at Glastonbury fest. in June, I'll be there if you want to come and say hi, I'll be working backstage at the Acoustic stage. Just leave a message at the gate.
Love
Carol.
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

So far, have said more than likely:
Carol B.; Chris Ss (plus Jacky, Jenny); Danny; Doctor Pat; Dominic; Gerda; Joëlle; Karen P.; Maggy W.; Mary S.; Pete S.; Richard S.; Ron M.; Rory C.; Scratch; Steve A.; Little Tess; Tony H..
And Angy and Weed say it depends (i suppose on confort).
If you're not yet on the list and want to say "yes, of course i'll come!", add your name or send me a mail.
whoop_john

Post by whoop_john »

Hello drear fronds,

Just establishing contact. I doubt I will join up with you all in 2009, but who knows? I just might...

I remember very many of you all, although some names remain a mystery to me.

It was Lorna who first enticed me over to Eel Pie, having bummed a few bob off me, when I was about 17. Subsequently I spent many a happy day there.

Grosvenor Road somehow paled after the Island, but it was nevertheless an interesting experiment in living and quite unique in many ways.

Whoop John