Summer reunion 2009

For discussing the next reunion
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Summer reunion 2009

Post by Joviale »

Anybody thinking about organising a reunion next summer?
:party:
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Joviale
Site Admin

Re: Summer reunion

Post by Joviale »

Joviale wrote:Anybody thinking about organising a reunion next summer?
:party:
Don't know if i will be able to afford it this year but if by any chance anybody would feel like finding a venue, i'd be quite happy about seeing you lot again!

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

I think the reunion party in 07 was a complete success, well thought out and organised. Massive credit to those who put it together. It's a bit sad that there were people who weren't there, for whatever reason, some hadn't heard about it and some live to far away but I think there was a strong incentive for everyone to try to be there. Thirty years had passed, it was just the right time. Just in time for Seamus, as it happened.

It was an opportunity to quickly 'touch-base' but it was a shame to have to leave again so quickly.

I think it will be much more difficult to make another reunion work. I think for many of those that were there at the last one, the wind will have gone from their sails. Those that live far away will still be reluctant to travel, sometimes across oceans, just for a party. I think many people still live in the London area and probably rarely travel far beyond the M25.

I think we need a consensus of opinion and this forum is the perfect place to do that. Initially, many people joined but they mostly have lost interest. For me, that is an indication of how much interest there might be for another reunion of some sort.

Another party in London wouldn't do it for me (been there done that), although I would show my face if one was organised. I think a week of camping in a field in the summer would be more apropriate, but I'm not sure that many ex Groadies would go for that.

Camping in a tent is not my thing either but I think it would be a good way to relax and spend more time catching up, (weather permitting). Also, offspring families (including grandchildren) could come along, there must be enough musicians amongst them to keep us entertained.

I think most people have a tent or can borrow one, and if we have enough enthusiasm for the idea, I'm sure we could organise a small marquee. I imagine a lot of ex Groadies live in the London area and don't have cars, or don't like driving. They could probably organise mini-buses or even bigger maybe.

I just had a fantasy thought, (day-dream) where Gary gets the use of a double-decker and drives through London, picking-up ex-Groadies with their bicycles and tents, and finally setting off to a field on the country from the end of Grosvenor Road where the bus terminus was. That would be a party in itself.

I'm getting carried away in fantasy land now.

It may not happen this year but there's always next year. I doubt if anyone will confirm a venue unless there is more enthusiasm for the idea but I imagine there will always be a lack of enthusiasm while there isn't a definite date and place.

Please write in to this topic
if you are at all interested in another reunion. Say what kind of event you would prefer, and where and when would be best for you. Maybe someone has another new idea that hasn't been mentioned.

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

I just had a fantasy thought, (day-dream) where Gary gets the use of a double-decker and drives through London, picking-up ex-Groadies with their bicycles and tents, and finally setting off to a field on the country from the end of Grosvenor Road where the bus terminus was. That would be a party in itself.
Didn't Cliff Richard make that into a film?
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

LOL, - I hadn't thought of that! I guess I must have had it in my subconscious.

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Dominic wrote:I just had a fantasy thought, (day-dream) where Gary gets the use of a double-decker and drives through London, picking-up ex-Groadies with their bicycles and tents, and finally setting off to a field on the country from the end of Grosvenor Road where the bus terminus was. That would be a party in itself.
:very happy: Yes that's it! And before setting off, we could have a little round guided tour of the old familiar haunts, enough to provide this forum with anecdotes for the next century!
I quite like this sentence They didn't know it was impossible so they did it Let's. And if we don't find a double decker perhaps enough of us have a van to organise a convoy ;) .

But yes, we definitly need feed back on that, and perhaps people going round or phoning the people not connected on the internet (might be quite a few former G-roadies!). After all, it only took 6 weeks between the first message on weed's gr message board and the actual party, and most of it went through word of mouth, mainly thanks to weed...

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Chris S-S wrote:Didn't Cliff Richard make that into a film?
There are bits of it here:

and here

(thanks to chris's adding of a button to include videos!)

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

I live to serve

Chris Selwyn-Smith

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

How easily we digress.

I wish those clips weren't all squashed up, making everyone, and the bus, look too thin. Originally made for a wider screen, I think.

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

We might as well digress, waiting for people to answer the actual question: should we have a reunion next summer, and where!
And i think if you double click on the video, it takes you to the "source" which is a bit bigger.
Weed does the comment about posting other people photos apply, i.e. i should download the films before posting them or can i take for granted that people posting on utube do it to share?
And thanks chris, hope it wasn't too much work!