Summer reunion 2009

For discussing the next reunion
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Re: Summer reunion

Post by Joviale »

Dominic wrote:I love domes apart from not reading French,
There's an english guy staying with us at the moment, i can do a rough translation with him and then post it so as you guys who know something about carpentry can edit it
Dominic wrote:However, I think building a dome from wood would be too big a project, and expensive, for a five day event.
Well yes, unless someone could have a use for it later on ;)
Dominic wrote:Maybe you could just post some pics.
Yes, i'm trying to find some and i'll post them. We keep our in bits and put it together whenever and wherever we need it.
Dominic wrote:If it's lightweight, very portable and inexpensive to make it might be worth it but we would still need somewhere to prefabricate it.
Well it is all that, and what we would need is someone to track little chris down and convince him to prefabricate it in his workshop!
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Isn't totnes were olivia lives?
Anyway, i'm going to ring danny, and if it's confirmed, i would like to suggest to have the reunion rather in july, second half, and then if it's ok, i could send mails to people who are not on the forum to ask them for feed back.
If any of you has cheap phone connection, he/she could perhaps make phone calls to the ones that are not into computers and internet, how's that?
How many people should we say is enough to decide we'll do it?
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Jo, - I'm sure there'll be no trouble finding a use for the dome after the event, but do you think there will be enough people interested in the event to make it worthwhile?
Last edited by Dominic on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Dominic wrote:do you think there will be enough people interested in the event to make it worthwhile?
Well this we will have to wait a bit to find out. In any case, it takes about an afternoon work to make the actual structure, and then we need something to cover it.
We've used tarpaulin, or material, or triangles cut out of fitted carpet (these you can get free from places were they've had big conferences.
As soon as it's in some kind of english, i'll post the instructions and who knows someone might be interested to build one for themselves and then bring it for the reunion.
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

About the dome, the idea is not to have one instead of the marquee but rather as well, if the weather is not too good it would be nice to have several "collective structures". The photos are taken in july, so it was covered to protect us from the sun but as i said, it's possible t use waterproof cover.
Attachments
The inside, to give an idea of the size
The inside, to give an idea of the size
Same but at another moment
Same but at another moment
Seen from a distance
Seen from a distance
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

This message seems to have disapeared so i post it again:
I spoke to danny on the phone yesterday and it seems that the totnes proposition might not be so sure after all. And he's going away for a while so will check it out wwhen he comes back. So in the mean time, i have that proposition from someone in the "bus love" group in facebook:
Kirsty Morris (London) a écrit le 1 février 2009 à 10:48
Hi Joelle. We often go to a place called "east dean" west sussex. The farmer ownes 50 acres of land and allows people to camp there, park up there with their trucks and buses, light fires, and play music, but i think the music has an 11pm cap and cant be hugely loud, and by that i mean blarring it out. Its £3 per person per night, but if you want some freedom then this is your place!! It is an amazing place with a very special vibe, and lots of places to park and hide. There is also woods all around which you can go for jaunts in. we go every year with friends, and love it there. Its not advertised or well known, only to the ppl that know it and have been before, or who have been told by friends about it. The only thing i will say, is dont go around a bank holiday weekend as it gets really busy!
She gave me the farmer's phone number in a personnal message so if anyone is into ringing the guy and finding out if the place is free, let's say third week of july (better weather than august), i'll send it in a pm.
I've also sent a message to the guy that terry had approached last year.
And if anybody has news from Carol, or a mail or phone that she answers to...
Rory

Post by Rory »

Sounds great! The return of the stoned-out-drongos, yaaaay! :wave: I want to come this time groovers! :cheers:
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

So there's already TWO people who said they were up for it (apart from me), Rory and Mary S. (she sent me a mail).
I had a look at this place in west sussex (on internet, of course) it looks not bad. Here the location:
http://maps.google.fr/maps?q=%20%22east ... =N&tab=wll
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

That seems to be a good place to do it as it's close to London where many people still live.

I think a few ex Gro. Roadies live in Sussex so perhaps one of them could drive over to check out the site and give us a clearer, first-hand description.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

July sounds great to me (can't do August or September)