Jamie Chadwick

News from ourselves or others exroadies we know about
stevebird
antispam: I am Not

Re: Jamie Chadwick

Post by stevebird »

Hi all,

Very sad news. I have many memories of Jamie in the seventies. Shared a house with him for a while (remember Chris?). Among other things he showed me a kind of 'Bloomsbury Group' aesthetic around Richmond and Twickenham. He was far and away the most widely read person I have ever encountered - I could never work out how, as he was in his early twenties when I met him and there just hadn't been enough years to have read all he'd read and could quote from at length. At the 07 reunion he told me that his close friend had died in his arms and that he was similarly unwell. We said farewell.

I think the name some have been trying to recall is 'Gem'.

With great respect.

Steve

Weed

Post by Weed »

yes, his reading was voracious -- when Jamie was in living in Lucas Cottage (Three Trouts, Co Wicklow) he made such use of the local library i think they must have had a hard time keeping up with him :)

i intend to go to the funeral (my first time out of Basildon this year!), and i've spoken to Angie who also hopes to be there

Chris S-S
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Post by Chris S-S »

Hi Steve & Weed
I do remember sharing a house with you Sandra, Jamie, Ade and my girlfriend at the time Caroline in Selwyn Ave. also having mock duels with Jamie up and down the staircase with real swords, oh the rashness of youth.

I still have a copy of Huysmans À rebours he gave me back then.

I too hope to attend the funeral. So I will look forward to seeing you Weed, and Angie there.
Chris
Chris Selwyn-Smith