Jamie Chadwick

News from ourselves or others exroadies we know about
Weed

Jamie Chadwick

Post by Weed »

i've just heard that Jamie died on Saturday 18th July after being taken into hospital the previous Sunday -- he'd been unwell for some time and the last time i spoke to him, a month or so ago, he was recovering from an operation -- i'll post more info here as i get it...
Last edited by Weed on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris S-S
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Re: Jamie Chadwick

Post by Chris S-S »

Oh That is really sad, I had a soft spot for Jamie I will miss him. If you hear the details for his funeral I would like to know and attend if possible.
He was one of a kind

Chris
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Weed

Post by Weed »

Chris S-S wrote:He was one of a kind
yes indeed -- Jamie was one of the few old friends i kept in regular touch with 'offline' and i'll miss his generous and loyal friendship, the clarity of his views, his erudition, and the unflinching nobility of his spirit

there's a couple of Jamie's delightful 'essays' + a selection of his quotes at -

http://www.wussu.com/writings/index.htm#jamiechadwick

the last one being, "On your travels, if you meet anyone who would accept my love, telegraphic and chaste as it must necessarily be, you have my proxy and power of attorney - distribute lavishly."

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

It is sad! - I didn't really know him back then, only that he was a larger than life character but at the 07 reunion I found him to be warm and friendly.

I regret, possibly, offending him by, mistakenly, calling him Jeremy. It was just a slip of the tongue but he walked away, partly in jest. - I had intended to make my apology clear if we ever met again.

Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Post by Joviale »

I was trying to find his photo in the 1st reunion gallery to post it here but i can't remember in which set it was. Can somebody do it?
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Jamie-RIP
2067769576_63c01c8673_m.jpg
2067769576_63c01c8673_m.jpg (24.58 KiB) Viewed 12926 times
jamie.jpg
jamie.jpg (12.31 KiB) Viewed 12926 times
jamie-profile.jpg
jamie-profile.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 12926 times

Weed

Post by Weed »

i shouldn't worry too much Dom -- Jamie once told me that "Jamie" was only an approximation to how his name should really be pronounced :)

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

By that, did he mean that his name should actually be pronounced 'James'.

- I read Lucy Irvine's book 'Runaway' some years ago, there was a character in there that I think was Jamie by another name, I can't remember now what it was.

Weed

Post by Weed »

no, he said that no one could pronounce it the way it should be said, so i might as well continue with the way i was already pronouncing it

and yes, that was Jamie in Lucy's book, tho i can't remember what name he went under there either

(thanks for putting up the pics)

Weed

Post by Weed »

i've spoken again to Marian, Jamie's long time companion, and have some more info

Jamie was taken into hospital on Sunday 12th July (not Friday 17th as i said earlier) and died Saturday 18th July -- the causes of death were liver disease and pneumonia, with the latter leading to fluid on the lungs -- (he'd also had kidney problems)

the funeral is at 3.40pm on Wednesday 5th August in the Putney Vale Chapel -

Putney Vale Cemetery and Crematorium
Stag Lane, London SW15
(off the A3 at Roehampton Vale)
bus routes 85 & 265 from Putney centre

after the ceremony people will be meeting up at the Green Man pub, off Wildcroft Road, the north east corner of Putney Heath (which is about 2 miles away from the Cemetery) -- i think this was partly chosen because Jamie had once worked there

anyone wanting to send flowers (rather than bring them along to the chapel) should send them to the undertakers, to arrive before 1pm -

Frederick W Paine, 29 Coombe Road
Kingston upon Thames, KT2 7AY
Last edited by Weed on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.