what's happening

News from ourselves or others exroadies we know about
Phil

Re: what's happening

Post by Phil »

Hey Dom! Sometimes it doesn't matter too much if everybody is not writing tons of stuff. You still have 'lurkers' like me that can look and see what is go in on and just jump in when its right. Its all communication. Talkin of which ... my e-mail address is still the same. See you soon.
Phil.
P.s. agree with your feelings on the idioticons.

Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Post by Joviale »

Eh, Who are you? I tend too remember people's face more than their name, did you use to live in the street? Where,
j.
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Well done dominic, you certainly did that B*** forum busy again. I'm quite happy i didn't use that poker after all! ;)

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Hi' Joelle, what is B***, I've disabled my word censor but it still appears as B*** ???

Although he doesn't make it clear, I think Phil is my brother. You haven't met him! His only connection to Gr.Rd. is through me. I think he is just reminding us that our estranged families can read all this stuff.

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Well it's because it was self censuring (bloo dy).
hugs

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Can we have the word censor removed? I am 'offended' by it. Each asterisk is just like a slap on the wrist.

In most cases one can guess what the word is anyway, and in any case we are made to assume an offensive word were there are asterisks, so what's the point(?)

I'm sure if one wanted to, one could still write something really abusive without using any, so called, 'swear words' and the censor probably wouldn't recognise it.

DISCUSS --------
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

The word censor is for better or worse a permanent feature of this forum.

It is however easily disabled on a personal basis in the User Control Panel /Edit display options/Enable word censoring.

So it's a personal choice and hasn't actually been a problem up until recently and now for those who choose to have it on false triggers should now be a rare occurrence as I have been through the list and removed anything that I can see as being either inoffensive, obscure, (the Portuguese for a male goat for example, which I suspect means something very different when said in Lisbon) or those that are likely to cause false triggers.

If Joelle can avoid doing it's job for it ( bloody was never in the list) then it shouldn't give to much of a problem.

Sorry but there's not much else I can do.

Chris S-S
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Thanks Chris.- I'm not really so bothered by the word censor, I was just having a little, light hearted, rant. I though it might lead to some general debate about language and why some words are considered to be taboo.

What is the Portuguese word for a male goat? or is that completely irrelevant.

Joelle, I thought you had written a really bad four letter word that I didn't know (B***). I see now, you meant B*****. I wasn't sure if you meant B**, but put one too many stars in. Or you might have meant to say B******, but put too few stars in. Anyway, what a load of b*******, now I feel like a right f****** t*****. I wish I hadn't started this, I do talk a load of s*** sometimes.

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

What is the Portuguese word for a male goat? or is that completely irrelevant.
It is apparently * and is actually spanish not Portuguese not that I can see this as I have word censoring on and didn't delete it from the list as I foolishly thought that no one would ever use it.
see:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=*
and as if to prove a point this link won't work with censoring on
Chris S-S
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

It was just a little joke, lads! I also find it silly, that's why i caricatured the idea using it on a everyday word.
Wont do it again, promised!
j.