what's happening

News from ourselves or others exroadies we know about
Dominic

Re: what's happening

Post by Dominic »

I like this photo. I don't think it's in any of the galleries. Remember that bench and the banquet table that went with it.
I like this photo. I don't think it's in any of the galleries. Remember that bench and the banquet table that went with it.
Weed

Post by Weed »

that's a great pic Dom :)
Chris S-S
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Post by Chris S-S »

That is a nice pic Dom.

I know Karen for one will be pleased to see a better picture of Pat as I think the only other one is of him in the background of the Cafe. and it is good to see pictures of Sue and Gerry.

If you can let me have a copy that is closer to original size I will make sure it gets added to the gallery.
Chris S-S
Chris Selwyn-Smith
Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Chris S-S wrote:That is a nice pic Dom.
I know Karen for one will be pleased to see a better picture of Pat as I think the only other one is of him in the background of the Cafe.
Found another good photo of pat while having a look at graham de la terre's face book (it's out of somebody called janet's photos)
Attachments
indianPat.jpg
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution
Carol B

Post by Carol B »

Hi everyone. I thought I'd make my debut on this thread because Dominic said such nice things about me....even though he doesn't remember me (sticks out tongue at Dominic)!!

I had been living at, I think, Garfield Road before I came to Grosvenor Road. I was sharing a house with Alison Pont, her baby Aaron, and a girl called Helena. We got chummy with Scratch and Dominic and Seamus, we used to come over and hang out with everyone on the wasteground. And then I met George Tyler and moved in with him at no.16, not one of my brightest moves, not because I didn't love living there, more because George turned out to be a violent junkie. People might remember me more if I mention I sometimes used to have spectacular black eyes? Ahem, moving swiftly on......

I'm sure it WAS no 16, Fritz and Princess lived next door, would that be right? Bob the Boat lived at no. 16, I remember Pete and Ron lived over the road, and Timmy Morgan (who used to throw himself down stairs and occasionally out of the first floor window just for entertainment). Tivvy and Kim lived over the road as well. Ola F and Ade lived at the bungalow, and I knew Jack, Liz, Maeve and George, Ola F and Ade, Janet and George Gill and Tristessa their daughter, Ray, Joelle and Mac of course, and LB and some other bikers who played a significent part in my life later on. I do remember the Caf, and the Indian eatery, and the night that the plate glass window was smashed by the Road Rats at the Warehouse. Nipping through the back of the houses and over the wall to go the Albany pub, ooh, and chatting to Pete Townsend one evening over his garden gate on my way to the pub by Eel Pie island. Also can vaguely remember LB wearing leather shorts and blowing a bugle......of course....I might have dreamt it!!

My time at Grosvenor Road ended when George T decided we should get married (what WAS I thinking), everything was arranged, the night before the wedding he, um, really went to town on me. I waited until he'd passed out, collected up a few things and departed off into the night. I hitched off down the M4 (uyou could get away with stuff like that then), and made for an address that Fritz had given me, in Bath, another squat. To my shame I can't remember who was there, exactly, but I know it was bikers and I know there was a strong connection with Grosvenor Road. They made it their role in life to Hide Me From Wicked George, and I am eternally grateful.Hang on, Odd Job springs to mind? And Big Bill? Oddly enough I'm living in the same street now, legally!! Full circle?

So there we have it, part of the Chronicles of Carol. Of course, much has happened in between, I'm married, have three grown up kids and am a horse whisperer....no, really, it's what I do.

Looking forward very much to meeting up this year.

Love and hugs.

Carol B.
Weed

Post by Weed »

thanks for sharing all those memories Carol, tho some are obviously happier than others!

it's also great to have info from someone who was at No 16 with details of who lived there to clear up confusion

sorry to hear you had to move from Exmoor, tho i'm sure there's lots worse places than Bath :)
Carol B

Post by Carol B »

Cheers Weed. Bath horrible, am pining for the fjords of Exmoor!! Hey ho it's all part of life's great thingummy.

Dominic contacted me and reminded me that I must have lived at no. 15., not 16. Despite horrible George I loved being at Grosvenor Road and have very fond memories, also it sort of helped to set me off properly on my life's journey, if you know what I mean.

Cheers everyone, speak soon.
C X
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Carol B wrote:can vaguely remember LB wearing leather shorts and blowing a bugle......of course....I might have dreamt it!!
I can imagine how that might be mistaken for a dream but that would be typical of Gary's sense of theatrical fun. I remember when he disguised himself to look like a policeman and went around, knocking, and poking his head into every room in the street. He was quite convincing at first glance, cleaned up with his hair hidden in a hat. I think he made a few hearts speed up and a few tokers choke.

Before we lived in Gro road, Gary and I were tramping around on motorbikes in Wales. I think we were in Llandrindod Wells where Jeremy lived. We were a bit stinky and one of us said "Where can we go for a bath?", the other said, jokingly, "I know! - Bath!". So we rode to Bath for a bath. I think we wanted to have somewhere to ride to, more than we wanted to have a bath. But we definitely needed one.

We didn't really expect to be able to bathe in the Roman baths but we did discover a most amazing old Victorian bath-house underground. big rooms with free-standing baths and tiled walls and floor. It was sheer luxury and after losing our outer layer of skin, we got on our bikes and rode back to mid Wales.
Weed

Post by Weed »

Carol B wrote:Dominic contacted me and reminded me that I must have lived at no. 15., not 16.
@ Carol - Pete and Ron definitely lived at No 15 -- if you were on the other side of the road (the police station side) it must have been an even number -- No 14 was Janet, Keith, Trissy and artist Jim -- not sure of the dates, but some of the time No 16 was Nick & Roger & Dick

(& yes, i think LB had a bugle lol)
Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

& yes, i think LB had a bugle lol
As in the Richmond and Twickenham Times headline
" Hippies dance naked to the sound of live groups" where LB is attributed with sitting up a tree and blowing his bugle as a form of early warning system of approaching constabulary.
Chris Selwyn-Smith