How I first came to G Road

Photos, anecdotes... One topic per house
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

How I first came to G Road

Post by Joviale »

If we all try and remember how we first came, the addition of our memories would make a nice begining for a history of the road. So this is my contribution:

I first came to Richmond with a group of french school kids. I was supposed to make sure they behaved so of course i took them to the ice rink and to l'Auberge. Funnily enough, some people still remember me from that time!
I had so much fun that I came back a year later with my best friend called olivia. We went back to france at the end of the summer, but as I'd fallen in love in between, I soon came back. Met a few people in l'Auberge who were planning to open a squat in twickenham, so mac and me joined the project and that's how we opened N°7.

That's when we reopened the house after getting boarded up!
Last edited by Joviale on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added photo
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Weed

Re: How I first came to G Road

Post by Weed »

after travelling up to Leeds for the day with Sher in summer 1970 to attend a court case, we sort of got stuck there -- i eventually got back down to London again in autumn 1972 (a 200 mile walk) and was staying with friends in Chiswick, when, riding on the top deck of of a bus travelling thru Turnham Green, who did i see walking down the road but Seamus -- he told me he and Scratch were opening up this squat in Twickenham and that i should come round... so a i did, and stayed, cos it seemed thr right place for me to be (tho of course that was before the ban on drugs inside the house came into effect lol)

Rory

Post by Rory »

I ran away from home which at that time was in Salisbury aged 15 around October 1973, I naturally gravitated back to Twickenham area having been born and raised there and spent several very uncomfortable nights sleeping outside in the Lensbury-sports ground behind St winifreds road,Teddington.[where the family home had been]With the help of a childhood mate i plucked up the courage to investigate the mysterious and exotic world of squatting by first of all knocking on the door of a squat on Ferry road Teddington and was greeted at the door by the red headed Richard who made me tea and advised me to check out Grosvenor road. My first port of call was number 7 and the door was opened by Joelle, i spent a couple of nights on Seamus and Marys floor before being alocated a tiny room at the top of number 10.........the rest is history......

Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Post by Joviale »

Weed wrote: (tho of course that was before the ban on drugs inside the house came into effect lol)
I always thought it was your idea in the first place, being reasonable and avoiding the house getting busted!
Though i sometimes wonder if i wasn't the only one to enforce it!
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Weed

Post by Weed »

not sure it sounds that much like me -- probably i was more responsible in those days lol -- but even so, if i suggested it then i was probably being ironic... hmm...