Numbers 1 and 3 ?

Photos, anecdotes... One topic per house
petermcprice

Numbers 1 and 3 ?

Post by petermcprice »

I have not visited the site for a few years (2003 I think) and was very interested that it should be thriving so, with lots of new pictures and layout.The reason I first found you all is explained a little by:
http://peterprice.net/
The photos (in Carol's groups 1 and 2 photos cg_03.jpg and /cg_16.jpg ) of a semi detached Victorian house with 3 floors are, in my memory, where my sister Pat lived with her husband Colin Sayer and her children Caroline, William, Elizabeth and Richard.
I remember her address as number 1 Grosvenor Road on the left hand side as you walk towards the railway line.
In the years after my sister's departure from Twickenham I am sure I visited Grosvenor Road and I remember acqaintances who squatted there but my mind is a blank as to the occupants of the house itself.
Was it squatted ?
When was it demolished ?
When were the houses opposite gone. The space seems to have been used for community, Playground?
I hope someone can get my memory going
Peter
Attachments
house_in_grosvenor_road_twickenham.jpg

Chris S-S
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Re: Numbers 1 and 3 ?

Post by Chris S-S »

Hi Peter.

I am afraid I don't recall who lived at no 1 it is however pictured here on the right.

Hopefully someone else with better recollection will be along soon.

I wish you a speedy recovery from your recent operation and the best of luck in your search.
Chris
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Peter, I didn't know your sister Pat but, coincidentally, I might have come close to meeting Liz because I used to have friends who were students at Foxhole school in Dartington, and I used to visit there in 1985. I think that was the year the school was closed down. It gained a reputation for being too layed-back and subversive. It was a, sort of, bohemian boarding school. A hippy commune for little people. Mostly the children of rock stars and actors and such. I wish I could help you with your search but I don't have any contacts from those days. I hope you have some success.

As I remember it, The pair of houses in the B+W photo are No's. 10 and 12. The photo is taken from the plot where 9 and 11 used to be, which became our recreational space. The other photo with the painted arches, and Tony G, is No's 3 and 1. I lived in No 3 when I first moved to Gr. Rd. but I don't remember meeting the people who lived next door in No 1. I don't think it was a squat.

In No 3 were Tony G, Dave K, Kate the straight, me and others who I can't remember. We built an art studio in the basement, using materials from the large derelict houses in the main road. Chas fitted it out with gas fires, all scavenged from the main road. I don't think it got much use but it was fun while it lasted. I don't remember exactly why and when but I think 3 and 1 were demolished after about two years, leaving No 7, ( the beating heart of the street), isolated with recreational waste-ground all around it.

No 1 wasn't squatted as I remember, and also, I think No 2, on the opposite side of the road, there was an old woman still living there. I think there might have been a licensed tenant in there also. They weren't really involved in the hippsie community.

I remember when they were evicted and we tried to stop the workmen from smashing the house up. They would do that to prevent people from moving in. The police were with them, (to prevent a breech of the peace). I stood in front of the front window just as a man on the inside was about to put his pick axe through it. I got the attention of the police and reminded them of their duty. We saved that window but it was too late, they had already smashed up the interior.

Twenty minutes later those police saw me on my bicycle and took me to the station. They said they suspected my bike was stolen but I think they just wanted to teach me a lesson. They kept me there for four hours and then just let me go.

Does anyone else remember that day?
Last edited by Dominic on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Weed

Post by Weed »

it must have been Autumn 1975 -- the ground floor of No 2 was reoccupied pretty much straight away (within hours?), initially by Ola (edited by moderator)-- it was mainly a matter of replacing the floorboards - i moved in there for a while -- also Dennis stayed there after he got out of nick (we rescued a pigeon with a broken wing which lived under his bed for a couple of months, until one day it flew out the open window, the one saved so courageously by Dom lol)

the workmen were already smashing the place up as the elderly woman who'd been living there was hustled out by social services -- they did a very shabby job, cos lots of her personal stuff had fallen through into the basement -- i collected up a few things (as i remember maybe a cheque book, diary, address book, photos, identity docs etc) and left them at the Council Offices in Richmond Road, but i don't know whether they ever got passed on

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Dominic wrote: In No 3 were Tony G, Dave K, Kate the straight, me and others who I can't remember. We built an art studio in the basement, using materials from the large derelict houses in the main road. Chas fitted it out with gas fires, all scavenged from the main road. I don't think it got much use but it was fun while it lasted. I don't remember exactly why and when but I think 3 and 1 were demolished after about two years, leaving No 7, ( the beating heart of the street), isolated with recreational waste-ground all around it.
Hey dominic, do you mind if i include the photos related to N° 3 inb this topic, as soon as i have a little time?
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

petermcprice

Post by petermcprice »

Hi dominic
I'm ashamed to say that I can't remember how to quote in this type of forum ( my job is as a BOFH) so I will probably forget some of the comments in your long reply.Which was so informative.
I should have realised that the original photo I thought was of 1 and 3 was in fact of houses on the even side of the road because of the modern building in the background. Isn't that the station (or next to it).
How interesting that you visited Dartington. I must say that my family's connection has alway intrigued me. They certainly belonged to none of the monied groups you mention. More in character was the fact that they gave thier home address as a commune at Sherborne Hall or House in Gloucestershire.
The photos of 3 and 1 intrigue me because I don't remember the cloured bricks above the entrance, were these perhaps done when both house were squatted?
Lots of food for thought for me in your post. Thanks
Peter

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

re. Joelle's studio photo's

Why should I mind? I think it's good to add photo's. Also I wonder if anyone has more memories of the studio. One of my regrets is that we didn't make more use of it, after all the effort that people put in initially to set it up. There was so much enthusiasm for it at first.
Last edited by Dominic on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Peter,

Yes! The railway station is next to that large office block.

I wish my memory was better but I don't remember the residents, or if No.1 was squatted. I lived in No.3 but I went travelling for a few months and came back to live in No.16. It may have been squatted during the time I was away.

Also I wouldn't put it past certain people to have sneaked across the divide, while no-one was looking, to paint No.1's arch while they were painting No.3's, just to make it match. Knowing that all the houses were to be demolished anyway, I can imagine someone doing this, even if the legitimate residents were still living there. The reasoning would have been, for aesthetics and as a gesture of inclusion.
Last edited by Dominic on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

A few photos from n° 3

The back:

Xmas in the studio (N° 3's basement):

Image Image Image Image
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution