The caf

Photos, anecdotes... One topic per house
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

The caf

Post by Joviale »

I can't remember if it was before of together with the wharehouse, but some mad people decided to open a kind of greasy spoon know simply as "the caf". As i remember, we started by decorating it with pretty colours (hippies, you know...). Some people got a bit carried away and painted the lamp post as well. It got to court and those people were comdemned (not the proper word, is it?) to clean it, wich took much longer than painting it:

Then a few lunatics (partly the same), rushed to the nearest super market, bought stuff to make a few sandwiches with whatever money thay had managed to raise between then, sold them mostly to grosvenoroadians and clerks from the office block round the road, and as soon as they'd raise enough money, rushed back to the super market.
And then of course we would have free meals in the evening...

As i remember, armed with such a poor understanding of the laws of capitalism, we didn't last long!
And then Brigg and Maggy moved in and provided us with amazing bread...
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Dominic

Re: The caf

Post by Dominic »

The Warehouse was later, The Cafe first started early on.
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

I used to run the Caff in it's early GR days along with a Scots lady called Moira whom I believe lived above it we ran it as a greasy spoon serving a lot of the bus drivers along with the roads residents

It had multicoloured T&G walls that after a late night Gaumont showing (remember them?and the walks back along the river I saw so many good films at those late night showings) of The Yellow Submarine it got extremely well executed copies of all the characters painted on them by I believe Little Chris and then of course there was Atlas painted over the counter done I think by Dominic.

After us came Dave SK and Charlie If I recall correctly and I believe they introduced the jukebox.
Chris Selwyn-Smith

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

I remember Little Chris's yellow submarine pictures but I don't remember painting anything in the cafe myself. It might have been Scratch he was a much more prolific wall painter than I was.
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

A couple more photos taken in the caf
Attachments
i think that's dave in the pot's handle, and olivia on the other side, what do you think?
i think that's dave in the pot's handle, and olivia on the other side, what do you think?
Is that THE jukebox in the background?
Is that THE jukebox in the background?
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution