Various squats in the area

Photos, anecdotes... One topic per house
Dominic

Re: Various squats in the area

Post by Dominic »

There's another example, on this forum, of a name that belonged to 'no-one in the area' at that time. I was going to say something like, "I don't remember anyone of that name in Grosvenor Road", but I didn't want to upset anyone. If you are worried that an adopted or current name has been used inappropriately, you need to do a 'search' for it and have it removed by the admin'.

I think, if we know someone who has changed their name for whatever reason, we should respect that they may not want their old name to be linked with their now-name. So we should be careful, and only refer to them using the name they had at the time. For instance, some people change their name when they change, or get, religion but if we are talking about the person before that change, then we should use the old name. The one we 'all' know, whether we know them now or not.

If this is really considered to be a problem for some people, then photo's with names attached could be a bigger problem for some. There are many paranoid people out there and maybe we shouldn't be adding to their anxiety. Remember the old saying, "Just 'cos your paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't a policeman behind every lamp-post".

Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Post by Joviale »

Dominic wrote:There's another example, on this forum, of a name that belonged to 'no-one in the area' at that time.
Apparently unless the topic has been blocqued, any member of the forum can edit it (unless it is just that i can because i have the rights for it). Try editing the message you're talking about and remove the name, or all the names in the message so one doesn't know which one was incriminating. (that's whati did with my own message and guv's reply) If you can't send me a personnal message and i will do it.
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

I was going to leave it for a concerned person to remove it or change it, but I guess if it was changed for the 'then' name, someone could conceivably make the link, so I suppose in that case it should be removed. Apart from the name not belonging to anyone 'in the area at that time', it was also suggested that, the 'non-existing person' was the first to squat a certain house, which, I suppose, might be incriminating. I don't suppose anyone, except the writer, will remember. or care, who the first person to squat that house was.

I see now that the name has been replaced with asterisks. (TFFT)

I don't think we should be bullied into not mentioning people who did exist at the time. People are free to write in anonymously, as Guv did, and draw attention to any mistakes.

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

about the robin hood roundabout parkup, look what i found on facebook:
Attachments
mac's bus.jpg
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Guv

Post by Guv »

Joviale wrote:look what i found on facebook:
Crikey! What a state...doesn't look like much fun there. They all look half dead.

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Crikey! is right. That's a word you don't hear much these days. ***'s bus must be sloping sideways, judging by whatever that is hanging from the top. Which means that the person on the right has fallen asleep in an even more precarious position. You also have to imagine that they were listening to some really banging, loud music. You can see on the left, the transition from long hair and wide flares, to tight young punk.

Chris S-S
Site Admin

Post by Chris S-S »

I see now that the name has been replaced with asterisks. (TFFT)
Yes I have finally found a good use for the word censor, obviously not perfect but unless the viewer is registered they cant turn it off.
Apparently unless the topic has been blocqued, any member of the forum can edit it (unless it is just that i can because i have the rights for it)
It is only those with moderator status that can edit posts that aren't there own.
Chris SS

Weed

Post by Weed »

pic of Mac's bus reminds me very much of another squat in Hampton, up by the river -- i think it was just Mac's bus there (no squatted properties) -- i remember driving along, almost there, and seeing there was police raid taking place -- i did an emergency stop, squealing to a halt, having to pull over on to the kerb cos the road wasn't very wide, and i punctured both nearside wheels :( but i managed not to get caught up in the raid

it was there that Mac's bus got mugged by a couple of heavies from Kingston who came in swingting chains and took off with his money and/or dope -- there were only a couple of others there -- one of them was Bones -- there were a few bruises, but no-one was seriously hurt

which reminds me of Canadian Cliff getting arrested while at Gloucester Road (he hadn't told us he was on the run) -- he got very badly beaten up by 3 drunken coppers at Teddington Police Station -- (they even came to the squat boasting about it several few days later) -- i know he suffered a broken collar bone -- i didn't find out any details till much later -- i'd gone round to the police station the next day and asked about him and they wouldn't say anything... they wouldn't say where he was or what had happened to him -- i went back again later and they said he was no longer there -- i think they'd already shipped him off back to the West Country

which reminds me of the time Mac's bus got busted in Roehampton -- the police found a few crumbs of dope, some scales and 600 quid -- they pocketed the 600 quid and errr... forgot about the rest

which reminds of the huge police bust at Hackney Bus Garage in the early 80s (when Gary got busted for acid) -- some vehicles had come over from Hammersmith after the Yard was closed, and the Tibetans were there, and some of the Convoy -- there were a lot of vans and buses there -- that place could do with a web site of it's own, and a whole forum devoted to the raid lol -- it was only just down the road from where i was living, so i visited there a few times

which reminds me of Gary taking about 20 people in his bus into to see the film "Convoy" -- cept we couldn't get in... so we wandered round Central London for an hour or so... Scratch and Canadian Cliff were there, so it was probably late Galsworthy or Roehampton time

maybe someone should go and see Gary and take along a tape recorder :)
ditto Chaz
and maybe graham de la terre could help with some of the post Grosvenor stuff (i briefly shared a place with him in Fulham, tho this was long before the Wystic Mankers)

...now there's a thought -- Gary's still got OJ's exercise books with all his stories in them !!!!! (currently being cared for by John the Song)

hmmm... i've got a couple of OJ paintings -- one big and one small -- if i don't get scans of them up here soon, give me a prod
Last edited by Weed on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guv

Post by Guv »

Weed wrote:...now there's a thought -- Gary's still got OJ's exercise books with all his stories in them !!!!!
'n I thought I was the antichrist...when it's obviously bin Weed all along.
Tight young punks agogo.
What's all this 'tight' stuff? Do you mean tight in the trousers, bottom or lipped?

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Guv, That was me, with the 'tight punk' thing. I meant trousers but I suppose I meant style in general. I was drawing attention to the contrast between the style of the two guys on the left, in the bus. especially the trousers. We all wore drainpipes for the next ten years after that, 'Cos flares were banned, (or at least taboo).

But you will have to explain what you mean by, --
'n I thought I was the antichrist...
Was it a reference to the quoted comment from Weed or were you referring to the 'tight punk' thing.

Weed, I would like to see those paintings of OJ's posted but they might have to be quite 'large' so we can view them properly.

I had forgotten but now I do remember the incident when Mac got violently robbed when his bus was tucked into that garden, behind a high hedge, if I remember rightly.