mugshots

Forum for the discussion of well anything really
Weed

Re: mugshots

Post by Weed »

Dominic wrote:We are scraping the barrel now, aren't we. It's true that people didn't often have cameras, in our circles, in those days, so I imagine we have seen all there is to see by now.
i disagree -- at least a couple of people have told me that they think they have photos somewhere, but need to try and find them -- i reckon there's hundreds of pics out there that we've not seen -- people are still coming across the Grosvenor Road pages, some who lived there, some who passed through, and some whose parents and grandparents were there -- i expect new photos will turn up every so often :)

i seem to remember there were also a couple of super-8 movie cameras around -- didn't John(?) have one? (he was something of a Chinese scholar, and lived at the top of No 4 or No 10 No 12 very early on, before leaving the street to join the Welfare State Circus theatre group) -- Jack may know more... they kept in touch for a while -- and i'm sure Joe Soap had one -- but apart from a brief scene in Joelle's vid, nothing's come to light yet
Last edited by Weed on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Weed wrote:John(?) *--- (he was something of a Chinese scholar, and lived at the top of No 4 or No 10 very early on, before leaving the street to join the Welfare State Circus)
I think John lived on the top floor of No.12 in the first year. 'The Welfare State'. I think they were a travelling theatre, rather than a circus, (I may be wrong,???).
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weed

Post by Weed »

i'm sure you're right Dom -- it was probably No 12, cos John was living above Jack -- and the Welfare State has been described as a "street theatre performance art group" -- (it started in 1968?) -- they were based in Burnley at some point -- i've got a postcard of their wagons and what looks like a big top that was addressed to Jack (at No 12) which was sent by "Jasmine + Andy" while they were staying in Burnley, dated April 1974

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

I think Liz took over the front room on the top floor of No.12 after John left and Jack moved across the road to 19 or 17, whichever it was.
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weed

Post by Weed »

Dominic wrote:I think Liz took over the front room on the top floor of No.12 after John left and Jack moved across the road to 19 or 17, whichever it was
i'm pretty sure Jack started in No 19, then moved to No 17 -- i think he moved from No 12 to No 4 and Liz took over looking after George and Maeve -- when i was at No 12, Liz and George and Maeve had the whole of the top floor, but that was in 1975

i seem to remember there was a bad scene when Chloe & Chloe moved into the top of No 12, probably in early 1974 -- Joe literally threw them out -- he could be very nasty -- and i think Marion ended up moving into the top floor for a while -- at the time Liz was probably on the middle floor

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

It seems like a lot of people lived in No.12 at one time or another. Was that Joe who had that VW van? And who were Chloe and Chloe?
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Weed

Post by Weed »

i moved out of the ground floor of No 2 and into (the top of?) No 4 in Spring 1976, and Jack had already been there quite a while... Sue B was there too (they had the middle floor?), and i think Pat and Sylvia were in the ground floor and basement (but not sure who had which)

Chloe and Chloe were mother and young daughter -- yes, Joe with the camper van

Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Post by Joviale »

Back to mugshots, i have some photos where some of the people are either unknown to me or i can't remember their names, how about starting a series without name and see if anybody remembers who they are? (feedback please)
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

I'm looking for dom's instructions on how to make the mugshots and they seem to have disapeared! And i'm quite sure i read an answer from dom to my last message saying more or less "go for it, but rather post the faces of people you remember... and it seems to have also vanished, what's going on????

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

So these people i remember, but not their name, or where they lived.
What i remember (from 1 = top left to 8 = bottom right):
1. played on that (in)famous party, along with andy, when we were supposed to have danced naked...
2. in front of what i believe to be number 15 on the photo
3. at a party in N° 7
4. introduced reggae in the street, in the days when it was considered as "skinhead music"
5. one of the bikers, i believe
6. Pigglet?
7. played with scratch at a concert in the caf.
8. Johny?
Attachments
MugInconnus.jpg