N° 7: First house to be opened

Photos, anecdotes... One topic per house
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Re: N° 7: First house to be opened

Post by Joviale »

One summer, a bunch of people set off from n°7 with a van "customized" by mac (the engine had all the lines going in painted in blue and the ones going out in red, like a heart). We were heading for the camargue (i can't say camargue without thinking of Monty Python AAARRGGGHH in the Holly grail, lol).
We stopped at my grandma who got us thoroughly p i s s e d (i was attacked by the word censor) and dragged us up a ladder in the attic.
Apart from me, there was Kate the Straight, Mac, Gary and.... who else?
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Doesn't the guy with the long hair remind you of somebody who lived on the top floor of n°7 and played the gong, preferably in the middlle of the night:

:D

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Jo, - I don't think you mean "preferably', knowing how you found it difficult to sleep. You probably meant to say 'usually', in a, sort-of, complaining way. Or you might have said 'preferably not', in memory of how hopeful you were, at the time, that you might have a quiet night.

Who was it, anyway, that played a gong, 'hopefully, preferably not' in the middle of the night? I didn't see any long haired guy in that clip. (Summer Holiday)
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Dominic wrote:Jo, - I don't think you mean "preferably', knowing
how you found it difficult to sleep.
I think i meant HE preferred, of course, i didn't you're quite right! :Mad:
Dominic wrote:Who was it, anyway, that played a gong
It seems i pasted the wrong film :confused: I've changed it now!
The guy was known at the time as "where's my head at bob" and had long hair until we decided that we were fed up with him breeding lice and sharing them with the whole house under the pretense that he was a boudhist and couldn't kill an animal!

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Thanks Jo, - I like this clip also. I did wonder why you'd posted the "Summer Holiday' clip here and also in another topic. - (next reunion).

I remember you once said (I think) (on the forum) that you hadn't got into You-tube. I can see now that you're browsing there. Hence the obvious but unexpected leap from double deckers via Cliff to The Young Ones comedy. You've got me going now. I was hoping to take it full-circle by finding, and posting, the last scene in the last episode where they drive a red double-decker bus over a cliff, through a bill-board-poster of Cliff. I couldn't find it but I did get carried away looking at other Young-Ones clips. That's got to be one of the funniest comedies ever.
-------------------------<>---------------------

Ah' yes Bob, a sweet and gentle guy. I will always remember him sitting quietly, cross-legged, either in his room or in the garden, waiting for some 'lost soul', or tripper, to stumble into his spiritual-guidance trap.

Someone once told me, (probably an ex-groady, maybe Scratch or Seamus or Gary,) that Nigel Plainer, the guy who played Neil in The Young Ones (the guy with the long hair), Used to visit Grosvenor Road, when he was still a sixth former (late teens), with a bunch of his mates, looking to score. If that's true then It's possible that he based the character of Neil on the likes of Bob and/or other characters around at that time.

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Dominic wrote:Ah' yes Bob, a sweet and gentle guy.
Obviously we don't remember the same aspects of the person! He used to drive me mad, but here you go! And yes i think there's definitly a link between gr and the young ones, i'd never seen it before i visited weed before the last reunion, he copied me the whole serie and i'm still going into hysterics watching bits of it every now and then :D
I'll have a look for that scene you mention and see if i manage posting it (i suppose i'll have to post it on you tube first, and as you said it's not really my thing, i just stumbled accross those videos after you mentionned going to the reunion in a double decker bus ...)
(i have to go back to my programme now!)

Weed

Post by Weed »

yep, Nigel lived in No 3 (next door to No 7) for a while (74-75?) -- i contacted him about the reunion, and he emailed back thanking me for letting him know, but he was working that day -- he's a very busy guy these days :)

strangely enough, in the early 80s i also lived next door to "Viv" (Ade Edmondson)

Joviale
Site Admin

Post by Joviale »

Dominic wrote:the last scene in the last episode where they drive a red double-decker bus over a cliff, through a bill-board-poster of Cliff. I couldn't find it
I think that's it:

Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Well done Joviale. - Hilarious! - I love that line, - "This is what I call - riding around in a double decker bus".

The episode where they go on 'University Challenge' was recently shown on TV. That's the one where Viv loses his head, and his headless body kicks it about on the railway track. But apart from that and a few odd clips, I haven't really seen them since the eighties. now I want to see the whole series again.

Is it possible that it's funnier than it was back then?
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dantheman

Post by Dantheman »

I moved into the house twice 1st Toni grants room then the attic,which was great the house being the hub of the street.
With leccy and a bath,below it was luxury, ‘I loved it; ‘below were Joelle & Mac and 2 Panther motorcycle’s in bits!
Scatch was on the other side of the kitchen with patio doors.Big Pat & Karen upstair’s, With
Garry LB in the tiny middle room! Later when living in the loft, Garry & I had the joy of sterio babies
Which arrived with week of each other
The kitchen cieling. Got painted at least once by scratch & I after much debate, cos we had run of space for the “Scriptiform” later we painted the hallway & front door later to be fitted to Gary.s van
So with Joele up stair’s who had the room below? Many great memories and stories come mind
Martyn & Inger with 9 wk baby Blossom parked in the shubery. Weed building his tree house & falling
Out of it (at least once) Scratch’s 21st birthday party, Mac’s NO onion policy. You could eat them at Brig’s café I had many a good meal there,well done Brig. Frizzby, the bicycle work shop on the patio!!
Learning to cook, (be abetter human) The Can,gerooo court!!