Cats like plain crisps

Forum for the discussion of well anything really
Joviale
Site Admin
antispam: I am Not

Cats like plain crisps

Post by Joviale »

(retrieved from the message board)
When i was over in england, we got to talk about the famous CLPC survey, trying to remember who started it.
Weed, in one of his previous reincarnation, was the one who got it out of the kitchen of number seven, sending it on a journey round the world or so it seems, but who actually wrote it on the kitchen wall for the first time? Come on own up! Or do you think it is best to let it remain a mystery?

Weed's answer:
the graffiti immediately above it (and prior to it) went something like -
all things stem from roots
BEGONIAS ROOT FROM STEMS
?? (something a bit pretentious)
Cats Like Plain Crisps

Scatch's answer:
I don't know who wrote the kitchen wall original of CLPC but I started the kitchen wall graffiti after being * off doing the washing up with " tidying up is an art form-create space " to which the replies followed
art has no form
art is form
form is art
orm is fart
cats like plain crisps
according to a recent survey...... etc

Joëlle:
And does anybody know what happened to the CLPC banner.

Weed's answer:
from Stonehenge B.I.T. Newsletter No 15 -
"Missing from the Free Food Kitchen, THE GROSVENOR ROAD FLAG. A gold velvet banner, embroided with a pyramid with the sun coming out behind it, and this motto "CATS LIKE PLAIN CRISPS" on the bottom. There's a list of the festivals it's been to written on it, since Windsor '74. This flag is of great sentimental value to the people who lived and knew Grosvenor Road. If anyone finds it, could they please return it to the free food kitchen or the big blue box van with No 7 on the door"
If i can't dance to it, it's not my revolution
RSleepy

Re: Cats like plain crisps

Post by RSleepy »

CLPC - well I remember spending an evening at No. 7 discussing CLPC survey with weed, joelle, mac, etc ... but not sure of ultimate origin - I always immagined it was Weed but my memory isn't great. :roll:

Richard
Weed

Post by Weed »

who, me? lol ;)
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

OK, I don't know who originally wrote 'cats like plain crisps' on the wall, in the kitchen of No.7. but Weed's winking smiley-face might be a clue. I always imagined it was probably him, (in another incarnation).

In Grosvenor Road we adopted it as our motto. C L P C was added to the pyramid and sunrise and became the Grosvenor Road logo. (designed by Tony G, I think).
logo.jpg
logo.jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 6728 times
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Weed

Post by Weed »

Dominic wrote:C L P C was added to the pyramid and sunrise and became the Grosvenor Road logo. (designed by Tony G, I think).
i did at least some of the embroidery on the original flag -- (Joelle may also have contributed?] -- the pyramid design came from a dream i had -- tho the design itself, as might be expected, isn't original but goes back to ancient times (at least Roman/Etruscan i think)

the CLPC graffiti was mentioned at least twice in The Times in 1974, i think possibly in Peterborough's column, but i only have a (very faded) photocopy of what seems to have been the second occasion

(it is of course true that cats like plain crisps, tho by that time most crisps were pre-salted, and on reflection it may well have been the salt which was the primary attraction)

the connection with the band of the same name was given a little more substance by the presence at the Reunion of an Isle of Wight contingent (Dave and Al)